The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   Stern drive position while trailering? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/4566-stern-drive-position-while-trailering.html)

pincourtmariah 07-26-2010 08:19 PM

Stern drive position while trailering?

I recently heard a friend mention that the sterndrive should be lowered once the boat is on the trailer and you're ready to hit the road... I never heard this before, I just assumed the sterndrive stays up while you're trailering. Anyone know the right answer here? Or, does it matter or depend which sterndrive unit it is?

indykoch 07-26-2010 08:58 PM

Re: Stern drive position while trailering?

Unless you want the skeg ground down to a nub, put it in the full, up position. The only boats I've seen in the down position are huge offshore powerboats that sit high on the trailer and have the clearance necessary. Even then, I don't understand why you wouldn't have it up (maybe those performance drives don't really have a "trailer" position).

WetWilly 07-26-2010 10:09 PM

Indykoch is right, that's why there's a "Trailer" button on the trim...

The only time it's recommended to have the outdrive down when on a trailer is when you're planning to store your boat on the (parked) trailer for an extended amount of time, having the outdrive down helps relieves tension on the bellows to minimize cracking.

I don't lower the outdrive from "trailer" position until our Talari is launched and floating on the water.

WetWilly

ShabahZ280 07-27-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 24344)
I don't lower the outdrive from "trailer" position until our Talari is launched and floating on the water.

I'm the same way. Outdrive only gets lowered when in the water, or when the boat is on the trailer for the winter.

mikeyt 07-27-2010 02:38 AM

+3. If its my stern drive, its in the trailer up position. Maybe your 'friend' doesn't like you? ;)

SEMIJim 07-27-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 24344)

Indykoch is right, that's why there's a "Trailer" button on the trim...

The only time it's recommended to have the outdrive down when on a trailer is when you're planning to store your boat on the (parked) trailer for an extended amount of time, having the outdrive down helps relieves tension on the bellows to minimize cracking.

WetWilly

+1 on all points.

Jim

pincourtmariah 07-29-2010 05:46 PM

OK thanks to all, that's what I've always thought and done anyways... maybe my "friend" is jealous of my recently acquired 252. I'll tell him he's right, the drive should be lowered while trailering, as he has a new Bayliner so he'll see what happens first hand!!:shakehead:

WetWilly 07-30-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pincourtmariah (Post 24441)
I'll tell him he's right, the drive should be lowered while trailering, as he has a new Bayliner so he'll see what happens first hand!!:shakehead:

Sounds like a plan pincourtmariah :wink_thumbup:

I'm sure he'll appreciate your conformation and support and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you just helped him with with making a performance mod to his new um, boat by helping to reduce water drag and weight, oh yea :yes_grin:

WetWilly

Dredd 07-31-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 24479)
um, boat

I LOL'd. That's harsh.