The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   spring loaded license plate bracket (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/4521-spring-loaded-license-plate-bracket.html)

m&mmariah 07-19-2010 04:57 AM

spring loaded license plate bracket

Hi all!

My chariot trailer apparently had a plastic, spring loaded license plate bracket. It would swing backwards/forwards when launching the boat from the pressure of the water bending it. Well, after all these years, the plastic broke and my license plate fell off. I've looked in several different boat stores for a similar type, but can't find one. It wasn't drilled into the trailer frame; it apparently clipped on to it some how, I just never noticed. Anybody know where to find a replacement?

mikeyt 07-19-2010 08:21 PM

Re: spring loaded license plate bracket

How 'bout something like this?

m&mmariah 07-19-2010 10:38 PM

Thanks, Mikeyt, but I've found all kinds of regular, plastic brackets......I'm looking for one of the spring loaded kind. As you know, the back of the trailer sits pretty close to the ground, so I don't want a bracket that hangs down too low. Also, with most of them, you've got to drill mounting holes in the trailer frame, no? I'll do that as a last resort, though. Heck, I even bought one of the regular palstic brackts, but haven't installed it yet just in case I strike gold here on our club site!

P.S. As a new boater (it's like yours! A '96 shabah 18 foot bowrider, 4.3 4bbl), I've learned lots from your prop advise, but I'm torn between a 3 blade black max 14.25 x 19 or an alpha four 14 x 20. Had the Alpha 4 on it but nicked it up. Now have a 14.25 x 21 (4500 to 4650 rpm WOT @ 5500 ft. elevation). Works great with me, wife, and small dog on borad, but worried if we have friends, full fuel load, and maybe pull a single rider tube, or try Lake Tahoe (6600ft). What's your reasoning for favoring the 4 blade vs the 3?

mikeyt 07-20-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m&mmariah (Post 24112)
Thanks, Mikeyt, but I've found all kinds of regular, plastic brackets......I'm looking for one of the spring loaded kind. As you know, the back of the trailer sits pretty close to the ground, so I don't want a bracket that hangs down too low. Also, with most of them, you've got to drill mounting holes in the trailer frame, no? I'll do that as a last resort, though. Heck, I even bought one of the regular palstic brackts, but haven't installed it yet just in case I strike gold here on our club site!

P.S. As a new boater (it's like yours! A '96 shabah 18 foot bowrider, 4.3 4bbl), I've learned lots from your prop advise, but I'm torn between a 3 blade black max 14.25 x 19 or an alpha four 14 x 20. Had the Alpha 4 on it but nicked it up. Now have a 14.25 x 21 (4500 to 4650 rpm WOT @ 5500 ft. elevation). Works great with me, wife, and small dog on borad, but worried if we have friends, full fuel load, and maybe pull a single rider tube, or try Lake Tahoe (6600ft). What's your reasoning for favoring the 4 blade vs the 3?

The 4 blade provides extra acceleration at low - mid range which is a big advantage when you are hauling a load / tubers / wakeboarders etc.

I've seen the odd spring loaded bracket around but i haven't seen one in a store anywhere. I have one of the flexible plastic brackets & it's attached just below the left tail light. Its been there for 3 yrs & doesn't give any problems. I have seen people attach them with heavy duty tie wraps too.

garyg 07-21-2010 05:21 PM

m&mmariah If you lived in TN. you don't have to have a license plate for trailers. I would try contacting the trailer manufacter and see if you could get one from them. Good Luck in finding one. Gary G PS on the farm we would just use bailing wire:rolling_laugh::wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 07-21-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyg (Post 24148)
m&mmariah I would try contacting the trailer manufacter and see if you could get one from them. Good Luck in finding one. :rolling_laugh::wink_thumbup:

Good luck in finding the trailer manufacturer. They went out of business years ago...

Yup, bailing wire, tie wraps or whatever will work is just fine.

m&mmariah 07-21-2010 10:42 PM

Gary G.....well, I live in CA, and the Calif. Highway Patrol is pretty tough on enforcement. But don't laugh about the bailing wire....I'm seriously considering mikeyt's nylon tie strap option! Are the chariot trailer folks still in business?

(whoops, posted this before I read the above post from mikeyt. sorry!)