The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   New Tow Vehicle (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/148-new-tow-vehicle.html)

ShabahZ280 07-30-2007 07:35 PM

New Tow Vehicle

1 Attachment(s)
Traded in my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday for an 01 Excursion. Figure this beast should be able to tow the Z250 around easily! It's a V10, so gas mileage sucks, but it's not a daily driver. Not sure if I'll keep it on the 22" Dubs or not... Ain't my style, but I can probably score a payment or two out of selling 'em!

indykoch 07-30-2007 08:58 PM

Wow... That's a huge b_tch!!!! Sorry, we always repeat that line from Duece Bigalow around here at work - seemed to fit!:)

I envy you. All I have is a BMW 330i and a Chrysler Town and Country. No "real" tow vehicle, so we're basically water locked. The van is rated for 3800 pounds, but the boat weighs 3000 dry plus the tandem trailer and I exceed that by a considerable margin. I'll use the van to launch a couple times a year, and move the boat around in the garage/driveway, but I'll never try retreiving or towing more than the 2 miles I do with it. The lease is up in 1 1/2 years, so I'll be looking at the '09 season for any family vacations (unless I decide what Enterprise Rent a Car doesn't know won't hurt them :) ).

KSP181 07-31-2007 02:20 AM

I love the excursions. What a great family get-a-way vehicle. We decided to go with the Durango. My wife loves it and likes the way it drives so all is good. Con- grats on the new ride.

MariahMan 07-31-2007 05:28 AM

That excursion will be nice Chris. Too bad it doesn't have the 7.3L diesel, now that would be one bad a** tow rig. Definetely an upgrade from that Heep you had;)

So if this isn't your daily driver, what is? I'll bet you have something fast.

ShabahZ280 07-31-2007 11:51 AM

I was originally looking at the 7.3L PSD, but they were listing for about 20-25k with the same mileage and similarly equipped. And at the rate I'd be using it, it'd take years to justify the cost of the diesel. So i figured, the 8k price difference between diesel and gas, could buy me a LOT of gas. I really was only looking to spend maybe 6-7k above trade in on the jeep, so this one fit the bill nicely. Plus I got an extended warranty for 3yrs, which is a good thing.

And my Daily Driver is a 2003 Audi A4, 3.0L v6 quattro with 6sp manual. (yep, it's fast, and gets me 27mpg on the highway too!) :)

ShabahZ280 08-09-2007 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I just happened upon a guy about 45min away that had a stock set of F250 rims & tires on Craigslist, so I picked them up and finally got those gawdy 22" rims off there. I priced them out, and it looks like I could get around 2k for them! We'll see I guess, but anything I can get for them is a plus! You should have seen the looks I was getting on the highway with those things on there...

So here's what it looks like now... Much better, in my opinion.

Z 202 08-10-2007 02:26 AM

Looks much better. I've never been a fan of the "Dubs" look.

OT: I was out wheeling my WJ for the first time yesterday. It's all stock with the up country suspension, but I was amazed how capable it is off road. I was taking some pretty wild trails back in the bush, and it just kept going... I was impressed!

215Talari 08-15-2007 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice!

This was my previous tow vehicle, a 2002 Land Rover Discovery. Surprisingly, it has a towing capacity of 7200 and it really did a great job. I replaced that with an Infiniti QX56 and it tows as smooth as butter. I bet moving up from a Grand Cherokee to the Excursion has to have a similiar feel.

ShabahZ280 08-15-2007 03:50 PM

So far I still haven't towed with it, I can say it's quite a size jump from the Grand Cherokee. I added a backup camera, it's like driving a schoolbus, but man it's much more comfy on the road!

215Talari 08-15-2007 04:22 PM

You will absolutley love the backup camera. I can't imagine living without one now. It makes coupling the vehicle to the trailer a snap, seriously, no more getting out to see if you are close, no more slamming into your bumper, slick I tell you!