The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   Surge Brakes Parts (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/10002-surge-brakes-parts.html)

cswinings 06-16-2015 04:00 PM

Re: Surge Brakes Parts

So I went through a similar process last week. I had not tested the brakes on my trailer yet since I had bought it last july and pulled it with an F350.. you can't hardly tell its there anyway. But this winter I traded in my F350 for a SUV, so I need to check the functionality of my surge brakes. They just plain didn't work. Good news is the actuator wasn't dry.. and still worked. Bled the lines.. lots of air came out and then when i test the brakes again.. found that the old cylinders were all seized up and wouldn't release so now the brakes were dragging. So couple wheel cylinders later for O'reily auto parts and now I've got good breaks!

I would like to either upgrade to a free-backing system or electric down the line but this should do for now. I've been hemorrhaging money on this boat this year. New tires, new brake parts, bimini, partial camper, mooring cover, new batteries, stereo.. sheesh, hopefully time to just enjoy this boat now.

Brian Belcher 06-20-2016 01:10 AM

Reviving this....
Who knows how to get the actuator out of the bigger, triple axle Chariot trailer ?

Motoxxx43 06-23-2016 06:17 PM

All depends on the make of the actuator. Not sure what brand comes on the Chariot. Etrailer.com should have the parts for the rebuild or replacement actuator. They also have videos on their site to show you how.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Brian Belcher 06-24-2016 04:24 AM

I've just made the final decision. I'm converting to electric. $160 for the 4 backing plates and some wire and a plug. I'm going to drill a 3/4" hole completely through the actuator/sliding tongue and put a grade 8 bolt to lock it down. I prefer the surge becase they are way more powerful. I can lock the tires up with a surge. Ain't happening with e-brakes.
Two things I don't like about surge are on a very steep down hill, the surges want to put the brakes on and sometimes it's too much. The thing is the backing up.
The down side to e-brakes-not nearly as strong as surge.

Reaper22 08-11-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Belcher (Post 59265)
Reviving this....
Who knows how to get the actuator out of the bigger, triple axle Chariot trailer ?

There are e-clips inside on the shaft, Dealer told me to remove external snap rings on the outside and pry e-clips out from inside and pin will come out, I'm guns put 3/4 bolt thru mine because I pull with my truck and don't figure I need them as long as I am careful getting to the lake... I will fix them this winter...

Brian Belcher 08-11-2017 02:11 AM

I'm certain we arenot talking about the same trailers cause it was not a simply pulling e-clips. I had to hole saw 4 holes to get at the 4, 3/8" bolts that held the master cylinder in. It wasn't too terribly hard, just had to be precise on the location of the four holes.