Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Smart Tabs

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-07-2018, 02:43 AM   #321

GaryDoug is currently offline
My Year: 1999
My Model: Z202
My Engine: 5.7L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 5

Send GaryDoug:
a Private Message

Default Re: Smart Tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwrx View Post
The only thing I have to solve is planning out. With the tail I could plan out with in 30feet of a dead stop. Stay on plane going 10mph. Now it’s nose in the air for about 60feet then she pops up.

Get used to using the drive trim to keep that from happening. I know it's a bit of a pain to keep moving the trim but it works. Start trimmed down and then, once on a plane, move it up. Smart Tabs will fix that but will cause some other undesirable issues, although maybe not as important for you.
-- I like to make my stuff last a while --
  • Old 09-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #322

baholtz is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: 202 Shabah
    My Engine: 305
    Gallery Images: 14

Send baholtz:
    a Private Message

The tabs definitely help to plane out. I put the brackets on for raising them manually, and it's a significant difference when they are not engaged. I can keep on plane down to about 15mph (guess) at 2,600rpms with trim down and tabs engaged. Without the tabs down this is probably 18mph and hovering around 3,000 rpms. I have a 98 202 with the 305.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 09-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #323

Itwrx is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: Barchetta 182
    My Engine: 4.3 v6 Alpha 1 Gen II
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Itwrx:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaryDoug View Post
    Get used to using the drive trim to keep that from happening. I know it's a bit of a pain to keep moving the trim but it works. Start trimmed down and then, once on a plane, move it up. Smart Tabs will fix that but will cause some other undesirable issues, although maybe not as important for you.
    What undesirables issues do you mean?
    Honestly I’ve had it out three times since removing the whale tale. I start out full down trim on the drive. It still poops up on plane quickly and I can stay on plane at 10mph according to my speedometer ( however accurate it is.) at about 2700 rpms. The biggest issue I have is list. It’s a small boat and when I have friends or food in the boat or a cooler of food it will typically list to one side. I can correct it somewhat by bringing the drive out and trying to ride on the “V” of the boat more. However I can’t trim the drive rams to the 20 3/4 inches out without it cavitating. Honestly I can’t bring the drive much at all without it cavitating. And even trimming it out I still can’t fully correct the list. I don’t think smart tabs will correct the list anymore than the whale tail could. I think the only solution would go electric tabs. However it’s not issue every time out. it’s just here and there I wish the smart tabs could correct the list. I’m just debating on leaving it or putting smart tabs on or putting electric trim tabs on.
    Old 09-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #324

baholtz is currently offline
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: 202 Shabah
    My Engine: 305

Send baholtz:
    a Private Message

The best way to correct a list is to balance your load in your boat. Even with tabs I'm not sure I wouldnt first move things around to try and level out.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #325

FastEd is currently offline
    My Model: Z212
    My Engine: 5.7

Send FastEd:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by indykoch View Post
    I'm looking to add Smart Tabs on my '99 Z212 Shabah. I know some of you have here, and there are a lot of others on those lowely, plain-jane, generic, boating boards (not a Mariah specific board ). Most have claimed incredible improvements to bow lift, low speed wander, even top end! Looking at the stern of my sculpted hull, I'm questioning the fit. I'm also wandering about swim ladder obstruction, and the possibility of using composite (SX series) to help prevent cuts/bruises if accidentaly hit with your leg.

Anyone have thoughts? I strongly believe in the product after reading all the reviews, but I'm questioning how/where they'd fit on mine and if the composite types would work. Anyone own a 212 with these? Pictures, if so?

Thanks!!

Ryan
    It's been years I see but did it work? I am wanting to add to my 1999 z212 also
    Old 10-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #326

Toolsinmind is currently offline
    My Model: z218
    My Engine: 5.7

Send Toolsinmind:
    a Private Message

I just completed install of smart tabs on a 1999 shabah Z218! Piece of cake
    Old 04-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #327

maria2000 is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: 202
    My Engine: 5.0 FI Alpha One

Send maria2000:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by baholtz View Post
    The tabs definitely help to plane out. I put the brackets on for raising them manually, and it's a significant difference when they are not engaged. I can keep on plane down to about 15mph (guess) at 2,600rpms with trim down and tabs engaged. Without the tabs down this is probably 18mph and hovering around 3,000 rpms. I have a 98 202 with the 305.

Hello Baholtz,

You have a very similar craft as I do (mine is a 2000 202z 5.0FI) which I’ve had for several years now. I love the boat and I have been thinking about the smart trim tabs for a few years now. This thread being a few years old I just wanted to see if you still run the boat the same way and if they have given you any problems? Also where did you end up mounting your tabs? Lastly, did you use the 60 or 80 pound version for yours? Thank you!
    Old 04-05-2022, 12:09 AM   #328

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maria2000 View Post
    Hello Baholtz,

You have a very similar craft as I do (mine is a 2000 202z 5.0FI) which I’ve had for several years now. I love the boat and I have been thinking about the smart trim tabs for a few years now. This thread being a few years old I just wanted to see if you still run the boat the same way and if they have given you any problems? Also where did you end up mounting your tabs? Lastly, did you use the 60 or 80 pound version for yours? Thank you!
    I've yet to hear of anyone who did not benefit from installing Smart Tabs on a boat under 23 ft. I've had mine installed on my 180 since 2008 without any issues to date.

If you need help deciding which version to purchase, go to the Nauticus website, click on the 'Smart Tabs Applications' button and fill in your information.