The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Mariah Warrany (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/834-mariah-warrany.html)

nickc 03-09-2008 09:49 AM

Mariah Warrany

My Mariah is around 14 months old. There fore should be under warranty.

Yesterday after taking it out for the 1st time this year, The boat is a sx18 with a 3.0.l mercruiser. There was a smell of burning after setting off. After looking at the engine it appears the engine mount on the right side where the alternator is. one of the three bolts has worked itself loose putting pressure on the other side of the same engine mount which has sheered one of the other bolts and then breaking the engine casing where the third bolt was held. Tilting the engine.

Is there any chance the warranty will cover the repair and possible new casing?

ShabahZ280 03-09-2008 03:03 PM

Ouch nick, sorry to hear that! You probably will want to contact your Mariah dealer, or local Mercruiser service facility, they should be able to answer that question much better.

It would seem to me that'd be covered, and I hope for your benefit it is, because that sounds pretty expensive. But keep us all updated, and good luck!

dudders 03-10-2008 10:29 AM

I agree OUCH, I hope for your sake it is covered. My experience with warranty issues has been fantastic, just hope yours is too. Good luck.
Let everyone know the outcome.

jmills224 03-11-2008 12:45 AM

Just an FYI to educate you for the possible warranty work. The smell was probably of burning rubber. If thats right then your going to want your coupler replaced.

~J

nickc 03-11-2008 09:13 AM

The burning smell i assume was the belt for the alternator has it had been shredded as the engine lay at an angle while still running.

The question about the warranty is it looks as if one of the bolts on the engine mounts has worked looses which has then put stress on the other 2 remaining bolts. Now should and will the warranty cover this?

MariahMan 03-11-2008 10:02 PM

Do you have documentation that the proper maintenance items, as per prescribed by Mariah, have been followed? If so then i would say yes, the warranty should cover something like this. If the maintenance procedure has been followed then continue reading. If not, then i would have to say that you may be sh** out of luck my friend, but i'm hoping that's not the case.

Have you contacted MerCruiser service center and had it taken in for a look yet? I would do that and get their opinion first before contacting Mariah. I would get several others as well to back up your statements should Mariah dispute this and claim that it's your responsibility to check for bolts loosening and by that they will not pay. While that is your responsibility, that doesn't entirely release them of responsibility. If a mechanic believes that this is something very irregular and out of the ordinary, then that will do a lot to help your case.

Good luck mate and keep us all informed as to the progress. Just remember, don't take no for an answer. If you're firm and don't back down, i'm sure Mariah will take care of you.

nickc 03-26-2008 11:21 AM

Looks like the shop are going to be difficult. When i bought the boat, someone else had owned it and done 2.5 hours. The local Mariah dealer was selling the boat and had it in his showhome. He confirmed the boat was still under warranty for 2 years. When i spoke to him on the phone he has now stated that it may not be under warranty as i am the second owner.

Is this true? The reason i bought the boat was HE told me that it was and would still be under warranty.

dudders 03-26-2008 07:22 PM

Hi Nic, from my experience regarding warranty issues, I have always had luck with
my dealer and I am the second owner too. I dont have my Merccruiser work book with me at the moment, but I am sure the motor and outdrive would be covered regardless of how many owners - so long as you have adhered to the warranty conditions at all times.
Give the guys at Merccruiser an email telling them of your problem and see what they have to say - I have emailed them in the past and they have been very helpful.
Good Luck mate.

dudders 03-27-2008 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Nic, I checked through my old emails and following is a copy of the email and reply from SeaFox plus the New Mariah Warranty for all Mariahs from 2005 that he sent

Cheers
Tony

Email below

I assure you that our warranty is one of the best in the business. It is common in the marine industry that warranty only applies to the original purchaser of the boat. Attached you will find detailed instructions regarding the warranty that accompanies our boats. The structural hull warranty is transferable, but must be transferred through our Australian distributor. You will have to inquire with an authorized Mercruiser service center about transferring the motor's warranty.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

Sincerely,

Stewart Mitchell
Customer Service
Sea Fox and Mariah Boat Co.
843.761.6090 Extension 33

Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Warranty for 2006 SX18

Thanks for your reply Stewart

I see, so therefore any and all warranties are only good for the original owner?

The limited lifetime hull warranty is also good only for the original owner too?

What about engine warranty? I know this is probably not your department but would Mercruiser only look after the original owner and leave anyone else to look after themselves even though the boat is LESS than a year old?

Cant wait to post this info on the forums.

Cheers,

Tony

indykoch 03-27-2008 08:48 PM

I didn't read the whole thing, but it looks like Nick should be covered. They have a 10 year structural warranty and the MerCruiser warranty that are both transferrable. Between the two, I would think one of them covers the issue he describes. Good luck and keep us posted!