The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Smart Tabs (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/3513-smart-tabs.html)

Y-Knot 11-19-2009 04:23 PM

Smart Tabs

Hi all,

It seems this product is highly reccommended and I beleive necessary to at least reduce low speed wander.

Anybody have pics to demonstrate good positioning? Their site has some good ones but I don't recognize a Mariah transom in any of them.

I also have swim platform struts which may pose an additional constraint........

Cheers,

Y

wplaine 11-20-2009 12:55 AM

Re: Smart Tabs

2 Attachment(s)
I installed them on my 215 Talari which also has the swim platform problem. Required moving them inboard fairly far. Trouble is the boat has not been back in the water for a test run but other threads posted great results. I'll have the boat in the water in mid december for the test run and will post results.

dudders 11-20-2009 04:14 PM

MikeyT's 1996 180 Shabah has a good shot of his transom - but not with the swim platform, check out the Gallery for his boat.

Y-Knot 11-20-2009 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info dudders,

I just read the big long thread on these tabs. Sounds like the way to go!

Cheers,

Y

dudders 11-20-2009 05:04 PM

I installed mine identical to Mikes. Couldnt be happier with them. Gets on plane extremely fast and gets rid of the chining at slow speeds (slow speed wander), plus the bow is lower at low speeds also, thats a BIG benefit. And no there was no noticable performance sacrifice at all.
You wont be disappointed. Good luck.

Tom 11-21-2009 12:07 PM

I put some on as well, but had difficulty with a list to port. I'm told the 4 blade prop contributed to that, so I've bought a new 3 blade as my 4 was pretty beat up and props are cheap right now. Haven't had the boat in the water to test since it's winterized. I'll probably get another 4 blade just in case. Dudders, what peop do you have?

dudders 11-22-2009 03:55 PM

I have a 4 blade SS prop, and also get a list to port. I had this prior to installing the Trim Tabs, and have tried almost every setting combination on the Trim Tabs to eliminate the list, but alas no luck. The list is only there from about 15kts to 30kts (havent actually written down the speed period) but it does go away at speed. I normally sit on about 30 to 40kts and there is no list then, also crawling along at 5 to 10kts the list isnt there also.
Let me know how you go with the 3 blade prop, I may just give it a go myself.
Cheers

bakdraft 02-22-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Knot (Post 19277)
Hi all,

It seems this product is highly reccommended and I beleive necessary to at least reduce low speed wander.

Anybody have pics to demonstrate good positioning? Their site has some good ones but I don't recognize a Mariah transom in any of them.

I also have swim platform struts which may pose an additional constraint........

Cheers,

Y

Check out the how to section for a guide..

Fitting Smart Tabs to an SX18

Y-Knot 02-26-2010 06:37 PM

Spot on bakdraft, well done and thanks!

Cheers,

Y