The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Winter Storage (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/3373-winter-storage.html)

Y-Knot 09-27-2009 09:28 PM

Winter Storage

Hi all,

It's that time of year I guess and we are sadly putting our FS18 away until spring.

I plan on getting one of those portable storage units as we have lots of room here and simply storing the boat under it with the mooring cover (boat will be winterized by the dealer first).

Any concerns with this as opposed to "shrink wrap?" It seems to me storing under a shelter with the cover is far better than parking it out in the elements with just the shrink wrap.

Opinions??

Cheers,

Y

VernB63 09-28-2009 07:45 PM

Re: Winter Storage

I attempted a 12x20 shelter myself two years in a row with bad luck both times. First attempt resulted in it becoming a Kyte during a January wind storm, and last year had similar results during another January storm(different location). I thought I'd secured it safely both times. Canadian winters can be cruel! I was unable to place the shelter in wind protected areas. I will look for indoor storage this year. If unable to secure at a reasonable rate I'll tarp the boat without the tent. Good luck.

Caspersa21 09-29-2009 03:26 PM

Y-Knot, good questions. I too am concerned about the best winterizing options. I have a full mooring cover, which I was thinking I would put on and possibly store inside. The facility does not have heat, it's just a large pole shed I think. Anyway, we have the other option of doing outside storage at our marina and they do shrinkwrapping. Is there an advantage to shrinkwrapping?

Thanks,
C

:rolleyes:

95Z212 09-29-2009 07:32 PM

If your going to store outside, no questions asked have it shrinkwrapped for 2 reasons. It's what, maybe $300-400? #2, you unwrap a big present come spring :D

indykoch 09-29-2009 07:52 PM

Shrinkwrap will protect it much better if left in the elements. A standard mooring cover is not usually designed to hold hundreds of pounds of snow and ice. If it's inside, any cover will work to keep some dirt out.

As for the temporary shelter... I don't know. We use one at the Indy 500 every year. One of which was during a tornado. Shelter held up well, but we definetly had it tied down! I would think it can work, as long as you keep it from turning into a kite somehow.

Caspersa21 09-30-2009 01:32 PM

Well I'm hoping I'll have to worry about a lot of snow this year, but I don't think it'll happen. I think I'll opt for the indoor storage with the mooring cover. When I bought the boat, they had used moth balls to keep out critters, P U! I've heard dryer sheets work well too. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
C

Y-Knot 09-30-2009 04:45 PM

Understood, if I had to leave the boat outside to the elements it would be shrink wrapped. I suppose this is the case for many not having/wanting to pay for an indoor facility or the room on your property.

I see disadvantages here with wrapping because I have to leave the boat at the dealer/storer as I can't easily roll down the highway (potential damage to the wrap) and even if I got her home ok, it's sealed up and I can't lower the drive.

I'm also worried about trapped humidity. This looks like a perfect opportunity for mold and shmegma to fester. Not all the cushions/upholstery are removable.

Indoors is the ticket. I feel the next best is a shelter with the mooring cover. At least I can climb in and dream when I want to.........

Caspersa21, dryer sheets have worked well for our RV for the last 2 years. It stays at the lake with the wee vermin year round.

Z 202 09-30-2009 11:31 PM

I store mine indoors, but my guy stores a lot of boats outdoors (under a pole shed) and will only shrink wrap if the customer insists. He's a firm believer in letting the interior breath, which a proper mooring cover will do.

Dryer sheets for the varmits and a few of those moisture sponges and it should be all good to go in the spring.

jgreen 10-01-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caspersa21 (Post 18573)
Well I'm hoping I'll have to worry about a lot of snow this year, but I don't think it'll happen. I think I'll opt for the indoor storage with the mooring cover. When I bought the boat, they had used moth balls to keep out critters, P U! I've heard dryer sheets work well too. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
C

I've been using Irish Spring soap for years in my old Sea Ray. Just take a bar and shave off little pieces with your knife. The critters hate it, at least I've never had a problem and a nice fresh smell in the spring. This is my first year for storing the Mariah and I'll be spreading soap chips before it goes to storage.
Also, get a piece of brass wool to plug up the transom. It won't rust and it keeps critters out while allowing air to curculate.

95Z212 10-05-2009 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Knot (Post 18574)

I see disadvantages here with wrapping because I have to leave the boat at the dealer/storer as I can't easily roll down the highway (potential damage to the wrap) and even if I got her home ok, it's sealed up and I can't lower the drive.

I brought my boat home down the thruway @ 75 MPH when she was wrapped. (just bought it) Also turned out the boat was NOT strapped on. The bow strap, nor the 2 back straps were on, and she didn't move an inch on the trailer. Guess they were custom built for Mariah boats!! :eek_animated: If its inside, no need to wrap. Outside, yes. I personally liked the unwrapping the present but she's inside the past 2 years