The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   No Start Question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/2944-no-start-question.html)

stevorat 07-11-2009 01:23 AM

No Start Question

My 03 Mariah has been running fine until last weekend when I launched it and it wouldn't start. When I turn the key (not in gear) the solenoid clicks but not even an attempt to crank. Put a jump box on it in case the battery was low, but no change. Any Ideas?????

Is there some type of lockout switch the might not have released when I put the outdrive down?

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Steve

SEMIJim 07-11-2009 03:39 AM

Re: No Start Question

Assuming all the connections are good between battery, starter solenoid (relay) and starter motor: The *click* means most likely either a bad starter relay or a bad starter motor. It could also be a bad battery: Enough juice to pull in the starter relay, but not enough to crank the starter motor. But in this case, usually it'll chatter, not just *click* once when the key is turned.

It works like this: The starter relay will have a small terminal that comes from the ignition switch. Then it has two large connections: One is a large cable that comes directly from the battery, the other is a large cable that goes to the starter motor. When the key is turned to the start position, it supplies +12VDC to the starter relay coil, via the small connection on the solenoid, which pulls-in a large contactor across the two large connections, supplying +12VDC, at very high current, to the starter motor.

I would trouble-shoot this is with a multi-meter. I would set the meter so it'll measure 12VDC. Then I'd place the leads between a known, good ground and the small terminal on the starter solenoid, have somebody turn the key and make sure the 12VDC appears there. If I got that that (if it's going *click*, I certainly would be) then I'd do the same thing on the battery side of the starter relay to make sure it stays at 12VDC when the key is turned. This would tell me if the connection between battery and starter relay is (probably) good. Lastly: I'd do the same on the starter side of the two big terminals. If I got 12VDC there when the key was turned, then I'd know it was the starter motor. If I didn't: I'd know it was the starter relay.

Jim

stevorat 07-12-2009 12:39 AM

Thanks Jim,

Good advice! However, I'm embarassed to say that I couldn't find the starter or the solenoid....where are they? Buried in the back of the engine? I have the Mercruiser 190. With the wide back seat, it's really hard to access the back of the engine bay or the lower parts of the engine.

Thanks again!

Steve

SEMIJim 07-12-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevorat (Post 16477)
Thanks Jim,

Good advice! However, I'm embarassed to say that I couldn't find the starter or the solenoid....where are they?

Don't really know. But if you follow the large red cable from your battery, it'll take you to the starter solenoid. The large cable from the other side of that relay will take you to the starter motor.

Quote:

Buried in the back of the engine?

Typically a starter motor engages the engine's flywheel. Typically that's in the front of the engine. Typically starter motors are located to one side on or near the bottom of the engine.

Quote:

I have the Mercruiser 190. With the wide back seat, it's really hard to access the back of the engine bay or the lower parts of the engine.

I don't know about your boat, but the entire bench seat on ours hinges forward, allowing pretty decent access to the engine space.

Quote:

Thanks again!

You're quite welcome!

Jim

travelmike123 03-23-2015 06:29 PM

Sounds like starter solenoid. Often just the solenoid can be replaced.

Lucky14 05-09-2015 01:07 AM

Check a few things battery voltage. Static shouls be 12.3 12.4 V

Then check for corrosion and terminal tightness at both battery terminals.

With the battery cables DISCONNECTED change to resistance/ohms measure the resentance from terminal negative to a good ground. It should be less than 0.5 ohms. Same for the positive.
If everything checks out reconnect and switch to DCV scale. Check for 12V presence at the starter main lug/bat cable. This should be hot always.

Then disable the ignition pull the coil wire. Have an assistant turn the key to crank and measure for 12V at the solinoid. If this all checks out its a bad starter.

Lucky14 05-09-2015 01:09 AM

When you pull the starter also inspect the pinion (small starter gear) for chipped teeth or metal fragments. Also, use an inspection mirror and light and look for the same on the flexplate on the engine. If all of this is good put a new marine starter on it. Do yourself a

Lucky14 05-09-2015 01:12 AM

Favor and put antisieze on the starter bolts. Be forewarned 2.5L (150) 4.3 and 5.0 marine engines sometimes break the starter bolts off in the block or the ear off the block.

Lucky14 05-09-2015 01:13 AM

The starter bolts are available at any parts store

Lucky14 05-09-2015 01:15 AM

I lost my starter overnight in the same manner your described luckly in my driveway with no previous issues