The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Bilge pump (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/2876-bilge-pump.html)

andyc 07-02-2009 09:11 AM

Bilge pump

Hello everyone, This may sound silly to all you seasoned boat owners,on my 2004SX18 do I have to leave the engine isolating switch in the engine compartment in the on posision to allow the bilge to kick in when I am not on the boat.This is the first year I have left her in the water and I am unsure if I turn it to off will the pump still kick in if needed.
Cheers
Andyc

dudders 07-04-2009 07:18 AM

Re: Bilge pump

Hi Andy, your Bilge pump should kick in as soon as the water in the bilge activates the bilge float switch. It should have continuous power going to it regardless of your key position (at least mine is anyway).
As far as your switch to your engine isolation - well one of our electrical gurus will be able to give you a definative answer on that.
Good luck, I hope you are loving your Mariah and your summer period.
Cheers, Tony.

andyc 07-04-2009 09:12 AM

Thanks Tony,I think I will turn the key to the off position and remove it(makes her more secure)I will be able to keep an eye on any water in her as I go up every week, Although its our summer over here we still get plenty of rain so I wont have to wait long to see.

Cheers
Andy

SEMIJim 07-04-2009 02:31 PM

The common wisdom amongst sailors is that at least one automatic bilge pump be wired directly to power. (The house bank batteries, if you have a separate house bank.)

We just got our 182 Barchetta, so I haven't had a chance to look into the situation on our new-to-us boat, yet. (We don't have an electric bilge pump, automatic or otherwise, on our 30' sailboat, yet, either.)

Jim

Captain Steve 07-05-2009 12:06 AM

Say, just flip the battery switch to "off", open the hatch, lift the float switch on your bilge pump, and voila. Either the pump will fire or it won't, and you will know the answer.

buddyboy 07-14-2009 02:11 PM

Andy,it works without the keys. Many a time i have stopped to fuel up and the guy at the opposite side of the pump has had a hose down :rolling_laugh:

SEMIJim 07-14-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyc (Post 16041)
... do I have to leave the engine isolating switch in the engine compartment in the on posision to allow the bilge to kick in when I am not on the boat.

If your bilge pump and float switch setup is like that on our '94 182 Barchetta: Easy to test. Just forward of the bilge pump is the float switch. Gently lift up the arm until it goes *click*. The pump should come on. Simple :)

(Btw: We don't have a battery switch on our boat. I may change that, some day.)

Jim

andyc 07-14-2009 04:01 PM

Hey guys this site is great you ask the question and you get the answers no messing about. I have taken the keys out and tried it and it works. This makes my boat more secure:) and gives more piece of mind when she is left on her own. Thanks AGAIN:wink_thumbup:

andyc