The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Sx18 Will Not Start (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/2726-sx18-will-not-start.html)

andyc 06-13-2009 10:21 AM

Sx18 Will Not Start

Help, I have a 2004 SX 18 with a Mercrcruiser 3L engine,It was running fine untill Wednesday, I turned her off and now she is refusing to start.:mad:I am getting power everywhere from the key except the small wire which energizes the starter motor but I can not find a break in the cable I was going to install a cable and button between the battery and the starter,is this a good idea or does anyone have a better one,I need to get her going or I will miss Scotlands short summer.

WetWilly 06-13-2009 11:51 AM

Re: Sx18 Will Not Start

HI andyc,

I'm guessing that you can't get the motor to crank over, correct?

If so, it sounds like either your starter solenoid or your Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) is out of adjustment. I would check the NSS first. Locate the Yellow/Red wire attached at the base of the starter solenoid; this should be the 12volt supply wire from the ignition switch and not the one to the starter. Now have a friend turn the ignition to the start position while you check for 12 volts on this wire at the solenoid. If you do not have any voltage here, I would say your NSS is out of adjustment, try wiggling or moving your shifter control back and forth while you try to start it. You'll know when it in the right position as the motor will begin cranking. Now if you do get a voltage here, then I would replace the solenoid. Either way, just make sure the kill switch is in the run position first.

If your motor cranks but doesn't fire, let us know as there are a few things to check to correct this issue.

I do not advise trying to bypass the safety systems on your boat for obvious reasons as this will allow you to start the motor even if it's in gear...

Good luck,
WetWilly

andyc 06-13-2009 12:03 PM

Hi WetWilly,Thanks for the reply you are correct in thinking the engine will not crank over,when I turn the key to the position all of the instruments come to life,but when I turn to the start position......NOTHING, I have managed to get the engine running just to allow me to get her back to her mooring by shorting out the starter and she runs fine.Do you think it sounds like the NSS you have mentioned.

Andy

WetWilly 06-14-2009 03:20 AM

Hi Andy

As I said earlier, it can be either the NSS or the Solenoid. If either one is out, you will get the same symptoms. I suspect the NSS, but Solenoids do go out occasionally.

Try what I suggested and see if you can isolate the problem to either unit.

WetWilly

andyc 06-15-2009 07:26 AM

Hey Wetwily you are the man!!! I tested the yellow/red wire to the solinoid and got nothing,I cut it just before the wire loom plug and got power so I put a piece of cable from the joint to the solinoid bypassing the loom plug to the solinoid and she fires up from the key:worry_to_laugh:SUPERB....I managed to blast around the Loch (we only have 1 lake in Scotland) for 45mins and broke the fan belt:mad:I am getting that repaired this weekend and hopefully thats the end of this seasons problems..Thanks again

Andyc

WetWilly 06-15-2009 08:38 AM

:wink_thumbup:

jiduncan 08-03-2013 11:44 PM

I also have a sx18 with the exact symtoms ,wet Willie you are the man, I replaced the slave solenoid, and she runs great. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!