The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Sea Fox - Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/)
-   -   SX19 won't start and high pitch warning(?) noise (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/sea-fox-mariah-talk/1285-sx19-wont-start-high-pitch-warning-noise.html)

06_19SX 06-12-2008 04:10 AM

SX19 won't start and high pitch warning(?) noise

Bought a 2006 SX19 with a 3.0 on Sunday in GA and I live in the panhandle of FL. The boat ran well at the dealership, I trailered it home 8 hours, put it in the water the next day and and all I got was a high pitch warning noise in the "on" position. The only thing that I know of that happened to the boat after running it at the dealership is a new battery, and yes, I did have to tighten the wingnuts down. Dive unit oil was low, I filled that. The boat was repossessed and thus has no manual etc and I have no idea where to begin. I assume the sound means only couple things but I have no idea what those things are....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's awful having a new 2 year old boat sitting in the driveway and your friends asking if the dealer switched it out for a broken one after they took you out on one that ran ;-).

Thanks in advance. I look forward to helping in the future as I figure out my boat.

TKH

bpfirrman 06-12-2008 04:29 AM

I think all boats make the high pitch whinning sound, I know mine does. That is just a warning buzzer to let you know that the key is in the on position, similar to the beep your car makes when you turn it to the "on" position but not so far as to engage the starter. This may sound like a dumb question but did you turn the key all the way to the right with some pressure? New ignitions can be pretty tough to fully engage, and if it was reposessed they probably had to replace the ignition which may be the issue.

06_19SX 06-12-2008 04:40 AM

As stupid as I would feel, I hope you're right. There is that definite possibility... So the sound is normal??

Thanks,

TKH

il_Mio 06-12-2008 07:35 AM

Hi, I have a 2008 SX18 3.0L and the high frequency beep is normal when you put your key in the on position. This is just to test the signalling function in case whilst running a real issue would occur with engine temp, oil pressure,..

Once the engine is started this should stop, if it does not , then there is something wrong.

Cheers,

Johan

06_19SX 06-12-2008 11:44 AM

Thanks all. Hopefully that will be my one and only newbie question for a while ;-).

Thanks,

TKH

indykoch 06-12-2008 01:52 PM

Johan is exactly right... the buzzer is just a test. If you hear it while running, it means high temp, low oil pressure, low drive oil, and maybe one or two other critical notifications.

Since it was a new battery, and you already had to tighten the wing nuts... I'd start there. Tighten those wing nuts again and check any fuses, etc. I couldn't imagine anything serious since it just ran at the dealership - probably just a loose connection. Let us know how it turns out!

06_19SX 06-12-2008 03:22 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm relieved to hear it's probably just operator error... I'll keep you posted and will have more questions shortly.

Thanks!

TKH

Edit: Got home, cranked the boat past the awful sound, and sure enough it started right up.... Nothing like your first boat in a while to make you feel stupid....

Thanks everyone.

Lars 07-03-2008 06:57 PM

Beep

You also get a beep if your trim is to high ;)

06_19SX 07-03-2008 09:11 PM

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. After thr intial operator error and a few things in need of TLC she's been running great. I'm already appreciating the 4cyl at the gas pump.

Mark 07-04-2008 02:52 AM

Make sure that you dont have it in gear. Not that I did that before.:shakehead:
Good luck