The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Bravo III Prop Shaft Discoloration (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/9448-bravo-iii-prop-shaft-discoloration.html)

Humpty 06-14-2014 09:26 PM

Bravo III Prop Shaft Discoloration

2 Attachment(s)
Just got back from a week long vacation boating and I noticed discoloration on the lower unit near the prop. Looks like possibly overheating? Should I be concerned? Here's some pictures attached. Boat ran fine all week no issues. Both side have the same discoloration.

ColoradoDiablo 06-14-2014 11:07 PM

Re: Bravo III Prop Shaft Discoloration

That looks like the area of the carrier bearing assembly to me.
What does the gear lube look/smell like?
I think I would take it to my marine tech and have him take a peak at what is going on.
Bravo Three drives are way too expensive to ignore the issue.:eek_animated:

Motoxxx43 06-15-2014 12:02 AM

Have a look at the oil like Larry says. Easy way to look inside without looking inside. I was told a bit ago those Bravo 3's run hotter than the Bravo 1. That is an odd marking.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Humpty 06-15-2014 02:03 PM

I pulled the lower drain plug and the oil looks good. No water or metal shavings. I just changed the lower unit oil before I put it up last winter. I'll call around on Monday and see if I can get it into a shop and have it checked out, better safe than sorry. I don't want to replace the outdrive or lower unit if it can be prevented.

ColoradoDiablo 06-15-2014 02:19 PM

I just haven't seen that happen. Usually , when a Bravo drive starts getting hot , the upper , right at the top starts getting a chalky film on it.
Keep us posted as to what the tech says , real interesting too say the least.:confused:

gahooligan 06-15-2014 11:29 PM

Has that drive been repainted?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Humpty 06-16-2014 02:11 AM

I had wondered the same maybe it's always been that way and the paint has worn off? I bought the boat used last year so I don't know the history.

gahooligan 06-16-2014 03:04 AM

It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures but it almost looks like abrading to the paint. It almost looks like you can see the edge line of the paint layers where it is wearing it away. Unless that is just an illusion of the picture

Humpty 06-16-2014 03:30 PM

I called local marina and showed them the pictures. He thinks it's the paint wearing off from where someone spray painted it. He said if the drive was starting to fail I would know it would make noise or vibrate.

gahooligan 06-16-2014 04:32 PM

Johnny.... Tell him what he's won!!!! Lol. Good deal. Glad it's nothing serious.