The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Polishing Props (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/648-polishing-props.html)

S.L.P. 01-28-2008 11:24 PM

Polishing Props

WetWilly,
Did you polish your SS props? They look much better than my dull matte finish blades.
S.L.P.

WetWilly 01-29-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.L.P. (Post 3500)
WetWilly,
Did you polish your SS props? They look much better than my dull matte finish blades.
S.L.P.

Hey S.P.L.,

Yes sir! Seen other duo props and like the shiny ones best so I had our's reconditioned, polished and rebalanced.

Now I’ve been told the duller props bite better, but all things being equal, how much is “better” and besides, every single SS prop I saw was polished and the “torpedo” drive is known for it’s great hole shot, so I went shiny!

WetWilly

S.L.P. 01-29-2008 12:38 AM

WetWilly,
how were they balanced? my local prop shop repaired and 'static' balanced mine last season after I 're-cupped' them on some ledgerock. I havent noticed any vibration. But was curious about other balancing methods available.

Were you satisfied with a particular propshop? Appears to be several on the web.
my outdrive is in the shop right now , but I have the props and thought about sending them out for polishing and balancing.

Did you notice any performance difference after they were polished?
steve

mikeyt 01-29-2008 02:16 AM

Without trying to hijack the thread, i just spent some money and bought myself a new Michigan Wheel Apollo XHS SS prop in 14.125 x 20pitch - 4 blade design. I had an aluminum 3 blade, 21pitch on it and wanted a better hole shot and mid range acceleration and i'm prepared to sacrifice 1-2 mph at top end. The change should keep me right at the top end of the recommended rpm range too so now i cant wait for spring! I got the damm thing settin' on my desk here just to remind me of warmer weather. :yes_grin:

WetWilly 01-29-2008 08:54 AM

Hi S.P.L.,

How were they balanced, good question. I really don't know... I believe they were balanced the same way as yours, as this works for most stock and hi-performance setups. While our Z240 was in the shop having everything gone over, they sent the props out for the work, a local guy who’s specialized in props. I'll see if I can get a hold of him and ask.

Now here is the kicker, we haven't had a chance to try out Z240 yet... Bought over the late summer, all systems were gone over and repairs made to the engine, outdrive and props, new trailer bought, some new canvas made and now it's too cold or raining or most of our lakes are too low so underwater debris is an issue.

As soon as we can hit the water, I'll see how she does. Now the previous owner claims to have pulled four barefoot skiers up at the same time from a deep water start and still topped 60mph. We have those same props but now polished so we will see what happens this spring!

WetWilly

WetWilly 01-29-2008 08:56 AM

Hey mikeyt,

I hear you! I too am more interested in the take off and mid range over the top speed and that's why I specifically looked for a duo drive.

As compared to a Bravo I or II, the Bravo III loses on the top speed by a few MPH because of the extra drag of the twin props, but by design, tromps the single props in the low and mid range and that's where I need it most.

WetWilly