The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Question about 4 blade prop (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/4589-question-about-4-blade-prop.html)

rjshelley 07-29-2010 12:16 AM

Question about 4 blade prop

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone use a 4 blade prop? If so, do you like it better than the 3 blade. I have a 2007 SX19 with the 3 blade 21 pitch prop, but it will not plane at low speeds & I was considering a 4 blade 20 pitch.

DougR 07-29-2010 12:30 AM

Re: Question about 4 blade prop

The four blade prop will help get the boat on plane faster (I am using one on my sx20) I lost a little on the top end but I think the planing speed is the same either three or four (basically hull design)...

mikeyt 07-29-2010 01:39 AM

i use a 4 blade 20" Apollo prop on mine. As DougR noted, lost a little off the top end but i had much improved hole shot & acceleration. A set of Smart Tabs would allow you to plane at lower speeds as well as get you on plane faster.

rjshelley 07-29-2010 08:40 PM

Mikeyt,
I'm not sure what smart tabs are?

jgreen 07-29-2010 09:09 PM

I'll throw in my .02... I had a 4 blade SS prop from Mach Sterndriver on my 3.0L Sea Ray. Best thing I ever put on it! Planed easily and would pull a big slalom skier out of the water with no problem.45 top end was plenty on that small a hull too.

mikeyt 07-29-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjshelley (Post 24446)
Mikeyt,
I'm not sure what smart tabs are?

You can check 'em out here. You can also do a site search for Smart Tabs & find all kinds of information.

rjshelley 07-30-2010 02:21 AM

Thanks, I'll think I'll go with the 4 blade prop & if I don't get the results I want, then I'll add a set of the smart tabs. They look easy enough to install.

m&mmariah 08-08-2010 06:17 AM

I have a '96 Shabah 180 with the 4v 4.3l v-6. I just switched from a Mercury (Quicksilver) Diamond 14.25 x 21 (3 blade alum.) to a Mercury (Quicksilver) Diamond 4 14 x 20 (4 blade alum). We have several lakes in our area, from about 500 ft elev. to 5500 ft elev. The three blade works great at the lower elevation lakes. At the 5500 ft lake, it works fine with me, the wife, and the small dog on board. Anything more of a load than that and it's pretty sluggish. The 4 blade gives me a couple hundred more rpm at the 5500 ft lake, and it has a better "bite" in the water. At the lower elevation lakes, I've given up a few mph on the top end, but the whole boat just feels smoother with the 4 blade. I really like it, and it was only about $160, if I remember right. Oh, BTW, with the 4 blade, I can stay on plane at about 100 to 150 rpm less than with the 3 blade.

Dredd 08-10-2010 08:06 PM

The 4 blade will also make holding a more consistent speed for wakeboarding easier. Most wakeboarders that put them on say the exact same thing as jgreen, "best thing I have put on the boat." Unless they later install Perfect Pass.
Also along the same lines, some wakeboarders will advise against smart tabs because they tend to "smash" your wake.

mikeyt 08-10-2010 10:48 PM

I think the wake issue for wakeboarders & Smart Tabs might be due to where the tabs are mounted. My 16yr old is a wakeboarder & he likes the wake put out by our 180 with the tabs. I suspect that if they are mounted well out to the sides they would flatten the wake out where mine are kinda half way & they dont seem to affect the wake that much.