The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Prop for my Z200 Shabah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/3866-prop-my-z200-shabah.html)

mikesnowman 04-07-2010 10:47 PM

Prop for my Z200 Shabah

Well I need a differnt prop and need suggestions as to what brand and pitch. The boat has a 5.7 and a 19 rapture in it now. Best speed I hit is 48 at 5000 rpm. Wondring If I should try like a lser 2 or vengeance 19 or go to a 21? or a 4 balde 20. I want to get more top end and not give up much out of the hole.
Thanks

mikeyt 04-08-2010 01:37 AM

Re: Prop for my Z200 Shabah

Well, you are over your recommended rpm range of 4400-4800 at WOT for that engine so it would be good to bring down the rpms a bit. A 4 blade 20" would likely drop the revs by 2-300 and a 3 blade 21 would drop them by about 4-500. You should also likely gain 2-4 mph respectively with each prop but you would lose a little grunt out of the hole with the 21". A Laser 2 is a high rake performance propeller (similar to the Rapture) with a large amount of cupping on the trailing edges of the blades which should give you an even higher top end but at the expense of your hole shot. It also has a slightly smaller diameter which reduces drag and it's designed for lighter weight boats with lots of power. One person i know who ran one on his Stingray with a 5.0lL said it was 'scary' at top speed. As for the Rapture, its a little larger diameter than the Laser at the 21" size and it is also vented ( i dont think the 21" Laser is) to help out the hole shots. It might be a good prop to stick with if you can still find one. I believe the Rapture has been replaced by the "Apollo".

A Quiksilver "Torrent" or "Tempest" 21" 3 blade might be a good all around choice for your boat. It's larger diameter should give you plenty of 'grip' with an increase in top speed. Also a "Typhoon" 21" 4 blade should put you just under your max rpms with a top end increase. It will have very good grip and be a smooth riding prop. A "Vengeance" is also an economical good all around prop.

After all of the above, there is no perfect prop for your boat and two similar boats with the same prop wont necessarily perform exactly the same. There will always be some compromise in one of low - mid - high speed performance and the best we can do is help guide you in the right direction. Best bet is to find a prop shop that's willing to let you try a couple of props out on test runs to see how they perform with your particular boat.

Hope this helps!

mariah bob 04-08-2010 03:28 AM

i use a stainless 21" on my shaba 200, can still pull skier or tube, and top end is 55 with my 5.7

mikeyt 04-08-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariah bob (Post 21193)
i use a stainless 21" on my shaba 200, can still pull skier or tube, and top end is 55 with my 5.7

Thats nice and not unexpected with a 5.7L in a 20' boat. Which prop do you have?

mariah bob 04-09-2010 03:35 AM

stilletto 3 blade

mikeyt 04-09-2010 07:02 PM

'mikesnowman'....theres another option for you. A Stiletto prop is a vented, performance oriented prop that should work well on your boat. It likely wont have quite the same jump on a standing start as your 19" prop but the venting does help in this regard. You could also consider the 4blade "Bay Pro" version in the 21" pitch which would give additional acceleration in the low-mid range area.

You can see these props here at iboats.com

mikesnowman 04-09-2010 08:12 PM

Wont the 4 blade hurt my top end a bit?

mikeyt 04-09-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesnowman (Post 21237)
Wont the 4 blade hurt my top end a bit?

Yes, compared to a 3 blade it will have a slightly lower top speed but will have improved low/mid range punch. It all depends on what you want your boat to do.