The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   1998 Jubilee 204 - Need Prop Help (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/3153-1998-jubilee-204-need-prop-help.html)

Taylor-played 08-06-2009 03:11 PM

1998 Jubilee 204 - Need Prop Help

I have a 1998 Jubilee 204 with a 4.3L that tops out at 4400 rpm and top speed at 34 mph (gauge)... With a even balanced load it still takes almost 10 seconds to get up on plane...

I currently have a 17 pitch prop and could use some advice on prop selection as I am new at this part of the puzzle...

What Prop to get best overall performance... I float and the kidz tube... no skiing

Should I add a SE Performance Hydrofoil or smart tabs ?? :confused:

Thanx in advance for the help.. Brian

mikeyt 08-07-2009 01:04 AM

Re: 1998 Jubilee 204 - Need Prop Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor-played (Post 17508)
I have a 1998 Jubilee 204 with a 4.3L that tops out at 4400 rpm and top speed at 34 mph (gauge)... With a even balanced load it still takes almost 10 seconds to get up on plane...

I currently have a 17 pitch prop and could use some advice on prop selection as I am new at this part of the puzzle...

What Prop to get best overall performance... I float and the kidz tube... no skiing

Should I add a SE Performance Hydrofoil or smart tabs ?? :confused:

Thanx in advance for the help.. Brian

Well, i wont ever recommend hydrofoils but i would recommend the Smart Tabs given the performance gains and the planing improvements.

As for the prop, if you are already running a 17" pitch and hitting 4400rpm at WOT there's not a lot of room to play there as your recommended range is 4400-4800 at WOT). Going with a higher pitch to gain some speed will lower your rpms. The 4.3L has got its work cut out for it on your boat. See what results you get with the Smart Tabs before considering a prop change.

Taylor-played 08-07-2009 05:56 PM

Re: 1998 Jubilee 204 - Need Prop Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 17524)
Well, i wont ever recommend hydrofoils but i would recommend the Smart Tabs given the performance gains and the planing improvements.

As for the prop, if you are already running a 17" pitch and hitting 4400rpm at WOT there's not a lot of room to play there as your recommended range is 4400-4800 at WOT). Going with a higher pitch to gain some speed will lower your rpms. The 4.3L has got its work cut out for it on your boat. See what results you get with the Smart Tabs before considering a prop change.

Mikey,

Thanx for the advice, I agree a V-8 would solve a lot of issues for me... maybe in the next year or two I can upgrade it.... I will try the smart tabs, they are relativly cheap.... probably use the #60 pound tabs to start... Otherwise I love my first Mariah...

I bought it only 3 weeks ago and after a major tune up and some other misc. work she is running quite well... good enough to enjoy the rest of the season... I hope to post some pics as soon as I get permission from the moderator...

Thanx again... Brian