The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   High 5 Prop? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/2809-high-5-prop.html)

SEMIJim 06-24-2009 01:06 AM

High 5 Prop?

HI There,

We're buying a 1994 182 Barchetta with a 4.3L V6 Mercruiser and Alpha One Gen. 2 outdrive. It's fitted with a High 5 SS prop. I'm wondering what kind of performance characteristics we can expect with this combination?

Sure is a pretty-looking prop :p

Thanks,
Jim

mikeyt 06-24-2009 01:09 AM

Re: High 5 Prop?

What pitch is the High 5 ? There are a few others here who have that prop installed....

Z 202 06-24-2009 01:54 AM

$tainle$$ High 5? :eek_animated:

If it's the right pitch is going to be a nice watersports setup...:wink_thumbup:

SEMIJim 06-24-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 15639)
What pitch is the High 5 ? There are a few others here who have that prop installed....

Y'know, it occurred to me after I hit submit that, w/o being able to tell y'all the pitch, there would be no way you could answer my question. Duh.

Yeah, Z 202, a $tainle$$ High 5 :).

I'll tell ya this: On the sea trial, with three adults in the boat (driver, passenger in port bucket seat, 3rd in the back), she came up on plane very easily. Handled the 1-1/2' of chop and up to 3' of powerboat-generated waves with grace. Cruised along at about 25 MPH as if she was loafing, with plenty of throttle left to go. (We couldn't go any faster because of the chop and waves. We pounded pretty hard on occasion, even then.)

I guess we'll find out. I'll let y'all know the pitch as soon as I can find out.

Thanks,
Jim

Z 202 06-24-2009 01:41 PM

Well, it sounds like it's propped correctly. You may be losing a bit at the top end, but the quick to plane and good low speed planing would be expected. :wink_thumbup:

SEMIJim 06-24-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 15664)
Well, it sounds like it's propped correctly. You may be losing a bit at the top end, but the quick to plane and good low speed planing would be expected. :wink_thumbup:

Yeah, I think those would be more important to us than pure top end. We'll be largely crusing the local rivers and canals off the lake and doing the occasional sprint across parts of it. Plus I would imagine a "torque" prop like this one would be better in heavy chop and waves?

I liked the fact that we rarely got much bow rise when going from low-speed to planing speed :) I've seen, and been in, some boats you'd swear were going to go vertical at any moment.

Jim

SEMIJim 07-16-2009 04:55 AM

It turns out the High-5 Stainless is a 14x23. (Found that out after the incident where I broke our boat.) The temp/spare prop I bought at WM is a Quicksilver aluminum 14x23 three-blade. The guy at the store looked up the recommended prop size and pitch in a book, and the book came up with 13-1/2x23. Since the High-5 was labeled as "23," and the diameter appeared to be 14", it seemed that what the PO had propped her with and the book agreed, so it seemed to be the way to go.

Thing is: All I ever see anybody here talking about is pitches from 19 to 21. So am I over-propped with both, do y'all think? That would be a shame :(.

Jim

Z 202 07-16-2009 01:35 PM

overpropped?

There are so many variables it's not easy to answer that question. If you could give your WOT rpm, and top speed it might be easier to say.

SEMIJim 07-16-2009 02:03 PM

Re: overpropped?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 16732)
There are so many variables it's not easy to answer that question. If you could give your WOT rpm, and top speed it might be easier to say.

Yeah, can't do that right now. Engine's still in the first ten hours of break-in.

Jim