The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   1993 240Z w/Duoprop B5 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/2141-1993-240z-w-duoprop-b5.html)

c6timmons 03-10-2009 08:05 PM

1993 240Z w/Duoprop B5

I bought a boat in November and was able to run it but didn't push it as I was on an unfamiliar lake and it was snowing. I was running the boat from the lift to a trailer 15 miles away so I was a little tentative since I was the only one on the lake and I really was just trying to get from point A to point B without any problems. I didn't have an opportunity to run at WOT and see where the rpm's fell. However, as I get prepared for the Spring I am wonderning if the previous owner had the optimum prop size for the boat. The prop set is a B5 and the engine is a 572 Volvo (same as a 350 chevy, I think) in a 1993 240Z. I am considering buying a new prop set and don't want to get the wrong size. At a minimum I should probably have the existing props reconditioned. Does anyone else have a similiar boat, engine and drive set-up that they could advise on what prop set they have? Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I took the boat out for the first time and found that with a full tank of gas and two adults in the boat I can exceed 5000 rpm's with the current B-5 duoprop set-up. I am assuming the tachometer is reading right. If so, should I go right to a B-7 set. My engine is rated for 4600 rpm maximum. Is there a rule of thumb on volvo duo props in terms of range of rpm change per different set? I don't want to invest in a B-6 set if it stills allows over revving and I am losing opportunity for optimum speed.

Thanks!

c6timmons 07-06-2009 04:06 PM

Re: 1993 240Z w/Duoprop B5

Folks,

I have answered my own question regarding the correct prop for my boat. I purchased a B-6 set and improved the speed, reduced the ability to over rev the engine and I am still able to pull wake boarders. Last time out I had four people in the boat and was pulling a wakeboarder (190 lb - 18 year old) with 3/4 tank full of gas. I had no problem with the hole shot. I don't know if anyone else has a 1993 240Z with a Volvo duo prop setup, but I am very impressed with the duo prop performance. It creates great low end performance, easy to keep the boat on plane at lower speeds and there is minimal effort for steering. The Volvo also doesn't seem to get hot like the Mercruiser outdrives. (I am not bashing Mercruiser just making an observation.)

Thanks!

WetWilly 07-07-2009 02:01 AM

Gee c6timmons, and you didn't even need us...:(

Just kidding! Glad your new prop selection worked out! Dual props can be scary and pricy when it comes to re-propping cause we don't have the selection like the single prop guys do... :D

WetWilly

c6timmons 07-07-2009 01:17 PM

:wink_thumbup: Wet Willy,

Thanks for the reply. I knew it was going to be crap shoot to find someone with the same setup as the Volvo DuoProp seems to be less popular. Regardless, I really was looking for confirmation if I was on the right path and my research and intuition served me well. This website is a great resource and I have found a lot of answers to other questions.

I hope to post some more pictures of our ride soon!

Thanks again!