The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Prop issues (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/1409-prop-issues.html)

95Z212 07-08-2008 03:28 AM

Prop issues

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 1995 Shabah Z212 with the 5.0 305. I have been meaning to post on here, and just forgot the outdrive name. I am thinking Alpha 1 maybe? Well I have some problems. While getting going, the boat seems to plane kinda slow. I usually have to go WOT to get to plane and then I can back off. I know they say planing speed is above 3000 RPM but if I would go 3500 I would take forever to plane. I have a 14X19P on there now. I don't really care about top speed (although I don't want to loose more than 5-10 MPH). I would like faster planing and better handling. I am going with a stainless steel either 3 or 4 blade. What should I go with? 3, 4, and watch pitch? I hear that you can't change the diameter (14) which is fine with me. Just looking for some advise before spending the big bucks!
Thanks,
95Z212:wink_thumbup:

bpfirrman 07-08-2008 03:08 PM

There are plenty of threads dealing with props as it is not an exact science. What RPM are you getting at WOT? If you are hitting your recommended RPM range with a 19p you may want to stick with that but maybe go with a 4 blade SS. Some other members have had positive things to say about trim tabs, they run less than $200 I believe and should get you onto plane quicker, as well as give you more control at lower speeds and help you stay on plane.

95Z212 07-08-2008 03:27 PM

I am running about 4500-4700 WOT. I amd not exactly positive, but I will find out this week as I am pulling the boat out for a radio and to paint the lower unit, and fix the screwes in the bimini top:wink_thumbup:
A good friend and marine tec, told us to try a prop called Revolution 4. I would buy one and not ask any questions, but they are expensive to figure out that I don't like the way it handles and planes! Anyone have one of those?

Z 202 07-08-2008 05:29 PM

You are in the correct RPM range for WOT so I suspect it's not a pitch issue. What is your top speed at WOT? A GPS will give you the best estimate for that.

Mercury has a prop selector tool but you will need to know specifics about your WOT, drive ratio and top speed.

I have no trouble getting on plane with my 202, mind you I have the 5.7L. Switching from aluminum 3-blade 14x21p to a stainless 3 blade 14x21p gave me a little more top end and allows me to stay on plane down to a lower rpm. A four blade might be better in your instance since you have a little less power. You will however lose top end over a 3 blade.

As mentioned the addition of Smart Tabs may also be something to consider, a lot of positve reviews about how the boat stays on plane much better with their addition.

95Z212 07-08-2008 08:36 PM

Ya think I should see if anyone around me has a 14*19 3 blade stainless steel and see how the boat reacts before going with a high dollar S.S. 4 blade?

bpfirrman 07-08-2008 09:49 PM

The best bet would be to buy one from a local prop or boat shop that will let you exchange them until you find the one that you like the best. Most shops are pretty flexible.

95Z212 07-27-2008 10:13 PM

Kinda late with the answers to most questions.
Top speed-40MPH (I think the hole in the outdrive is still plugged. TS was 35)
Max RPM- 4600
Trim-Perfect, lake was just about glass little ripples, and the prop I have now is a Michigan Wheel 14 Diameter by 19 Pitch. I was on Michigan Wheel's website and didn't see S.S. props. Do they make them? If I could I would like to put a MW back on it. Thanks for the help guys.

mikeyt 07-27-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95Z212 (Post 9220)
Kinda late with the answers to most questions.
Top speed-40MPH (I think the hole in the outdrive is still plugged. TS was 35)
Max RPM- 4600
Trim-Perfect, lake was just about glass little ripples, and the prop I have now is a Michigan Wheel 14 Diameter by 19 Pitch. I was on Michigan Wheel's website and didn't see S.S. props. Do they make them? If I could I would like to put a MW back on it. Thanks for the help guys.

Are you sure you were on the Michigan Wheel website? Their home page shows a MW "Apollo" S.S. prop..... which is what i have on mine. They also make a "Ballistic" and a "Rapture" line.

Here's the link to their website catalog:
http://www.miwheel.com/MIWheel/pdf/99021208.pdf

dieselwiezil 07-28-2008 03:56 AM

dont buy a new one! Craigslist is my best friend. There are always props. Good luck, on your hunt!

Z 202 07-28-2008 03:55 PM

^ x2 on that. It took a while but I found my stainless prop on Craigslist. Mint condition, 50% of original price... :wink_thumbup: