Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Shabah 198 SE prop suggestions

Prop Talk

Old 07-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #1

Navysandsquid is currently offline
My Year: 1997
My Model: Shabah
My Engine: 5.7l alpha 1
Gallery Images: 0

Send Navysandsquid:
a Private Message

Default Shabah 198 SE prop suggestions

Hey everyone I’m new to Mariah. The 198 se 5.7 A1 I just got needs a new prop. I hate to be that guy that “asks for suggestions”. But I’ve been doing some research and there’s seems to be a lot of options and rpm requirements etc. i want the best options for knee/wake boarding. I’ve been looking at the HIGH five. It’s expensive. I was wondering if anyone else has any good experiences they would like to share or honest opinions thanks in advance
  • Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Shabah 198 SE prop suggestions

You could start by reading any of the 3 STICKYS located at the top of the Prop Forum as they will give you the basics to make a choice for your needs.

What prop (pitch/ number of blades/ SS or aluminum?) is on your boat now and have you tried wakeboarding/kneeboarding with it? How did it perform?

Spend your $$$ on a 'High 5' if you want to but there are less expensive (pitch/diameter/blades) options out there that will provide the performance you are looking for. Just off the top of my head i would think an 18 or 19 pitch - 4 blade SS prop would do the job quite nicely.

Last edited by mikeyt; 07-23-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

Navysandsquid is currently offline
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7l alpha 1

Send Navysandsquid:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    You could start by reading any of the 3 STICKYS located at the top of the Prop Forum as they will give you the basics to make a choice for your needs.

What prop (pitch/ number of blades/ SS or aluminum?) is on your boat now and have you tried wakeboarding/kneeboarding with it? How did it perform?

Spend your $$$ on a 'High 5' if you want to but there are less expensive (pitch/diameter/blades) options out there that will provide the performance you are looking for. Just off the top of my head i would think an 18 pitch - 4 blade SS prop would do the job.

I’ve read those post I was more looking for brand and where to buy from maybe some suggestions of particular props.
    Old 07-22-2018, 11:45 PM   #4

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Navysandsquid View Post
    I’ve read those post I was more looking for brand and where to buy from maybe some suggestions of particular props.
    Okay.... If 10 people respond here you will likely get 8-9 different answers because what works on one boat doesn't always work as well on another similar boat. That said, I use a Michigan Wheel Apollo SS 4 blade and it works well for me when used for wake boarding & tubing. Solas makes a decent 18 & 19 pitch 4 blade SS prop also.

iboats.com is a good site for reviewing & choosing a prop

Last edited by mikeyt; 07-23-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Old 07-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #5

Scottie1961 is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z202 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha One

Send Scottie1961:
    a Private Message

Mikeyt is right, you'll get a lot of opinions on recommended props and most will be good advice. You just have to find the best options for your boat. The boat probably came with a 21 pitch originally so use that as your starting point. That's a lot of engine for that boat so I wouldn't go too small. A 19 pitch is a good balance of holeshot and top speed. I use a 19 on my 202 most of the summer but in the fall I put the 21 on and enjoy the extra top end. I have a wakeboard tower and the 19 pitch seems to help control the speed and allows me to trim the motor up at slower speeds to create the "big" wake.

Also, I don't think I've ever paid for a new prop. There's a prop rebuild place in town and I have found some sweet deals from this place. I had them redo the original prop and bought a stainless 19 pitch for $190. Might see what you can find but the places mikeyt listed are a good start too.