The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Prop Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/)
-   -   Shabah 198 SE prop suggestions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/prop-talk/12097-shabah-198-se-prop-suggestions.html)

Navysandsquid 07-22-2018 11:57 AM

Shabah 198 SE prop suggestions

Hey everyone I’m new to Mariah. The 198 se 5.7 A1 I just got needs a new prop. I hate to be that guy that “asks for suggestions”. But I’ve been doing some research and there’s seems to be a lot of options and rpm requirements etc. i want the best options for knee/wake boarding. I’ve been looking at the HIGH five. It’s expensive. I was wondering if anyone else has any good experiences they would like to share or honest opinions thanks in advance

mikeyt 07-22-2018 01:50 PM

Re: Shabah 198 SE prop suggestions

You could start by reading any of the 3 STICKYS located at the top of the Prop Forum as they will give you the basics to make a choice for your needs.

What prop (pitch/ number of blades/ SS or aluminum?) is on your boat now and have you tried wakeboarding/kneeboarding with it? How did it perform?

Spend your $$$ on a 'High 5' if you want to but there are less expensive (pitch/diameter/blades) options out there that will provide the performance you are looking for. Just off the top of my head i would think an 18 or 19 pitch - 4 blade SS prop would do the job quite nicely.

Navysandsquid 07-22-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 64915)
You could start by reading any of the 3 STICKYS located at the top of the Prop Forum as they will give you the basics to make a choice for your needs.

What prop (pitch/ number of blades/ SS or aluminum?) is on your boat now and have you tried wakeboarding/kneeboarding with it? How did it perform?

Spend your $$$ on a 'High 5' if you want to but there are less expensive (pitch/diameter/blades) options out there that will provide the performance you are looking for. Just off the top of my head i would think an 18 pitch - 4 blade SS prop would do the job.

I’ve read those post I was more looking for brand and where to buy from maybe some suggestions of particular props.

mikeyt 07-22-2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navysandsquid (Post 64918)
I’ve read those post I was more looking for brand and where to buy from maybe some suggestions of particular props.

Okay.... If 10 people respond here you will likely get 8-9 different answers because what works on one boat doesn't always work as well on another similar boat. That said, I use a Michigan Wheel Apollo SS 4 blade and it works well for me when used for wake boarding & tubing. Solas makes a decent 18 & 19 pitch 4 blade SS prop also.

iboats.com is a good site for reviewing & choosing a prop

Scottie1961 07-23-2018 04:24 PM

Mikeyt is right, you'll get a lot of opinions on recommended props and most will be good advice. You just have to find the best options for your boat. The boat probably came with a 21 pitch originally so use that as your starting point. That's a lot of engine for that boat so I wouldn't go too small. A 19 pitch is a good balance of holeshot and top speed. I use a 19 on my 202 most of the summer but in the fall I put the 21 on and enjoy the extra top end. I have a wakeboard tower and the 19 pitch seems to help control the speed and allows me to trim the motor up at slower speeds to create the "big" wake.

Also, I don't think I've ever paid for a new prop. There's a prop rebuild place in town and I have found some sweet deals from this place. I had them redo the original prop and bought a stainless 19 pitch for $190. Might see what you can find but the places mikeyt listed are a good start too.