The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   94 Z212 Update Switch Plates & Stereo Console (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/7241-94-z212-update-switch-plates-stereo-console.html)

brianvander 07-29-2012 09:56 PM

94 Z212 Update Switch Plates & Stereo Console

6 Attachment(s)
After spending a year + searching for and missing out on a few Shabah’s, we finally bought our first boat back in Mid June, a 94 Shabah Z212. While this one had all the features we wanted, we also knew that it needed just a little TLC, not much though. So I set out to fix the problems and update the look of the boat. There was nothing seriously wrong with her, no Mechanical or Drive problems just a few minor issues. The Sea/Air Temp Display did not work, the Depth Sounder did not work, the Stereo & Speakers were original and did not work and like so many others on this site, the Stereo Console Faceplate was severely busted up. I set out and was able to fix both the Depth Sounder (Loose Wire) and the Sea/Air Temp Gauge (Component Repair on the Circuit Board), but the Stereo Console needed a little more thought.

Stereo Console:
I knew that I wasn’t able to repair the old faceplate and I didn’t want to rebuild a new one with plastic again, so I chose to use 1/8” aluminum for my faceplate and then I choose to finish it with Carbon Fiber Film. Since I had been watching this forum for quite some time, I knew about and downloaded the Console Faceplate Drawing and since I am use CAD at work I was able to recreate and modify it for my own use. With a vendor that I work with, they laser cut me a new faceplate using 1/8” aluminum.

The original Faceplate had the Sea/Air Temp Gauge mounting screws were secured to the back of the plate with epoxy, however that connection had failed on 2 of the screws, so I decided to drill the faceplate and recessed the Sea/Air Temp Gauge mounting screws from the front, effectively “bolting” the Temp Readout Acrylic & Circuit Board to the Faceplate, I also used JB Weld’s liquid Steel to epoxy the recessed mounting screws to the faceplate, thereby preventing them from working loose ever again.

I didn’t like the location of the 12V Power Connection, so I relocated it to just under the switches, this will allow me to mount my iPod bracket to under the Temp Readout.

Since I didn’t need the 2nd DIN space yet, I epoxied the DIN cutout back into place for now and if I ever need to use the space I can pop-out the cutout again. I then purchased a Kenwood KMR-350U Marine Headunit with iPod/Aux Connections and installed that into the Console. The Silver finish on the Stereo coupled with the Carbon Fiber Film really looks good, At least in my opinion. :wink_thumbup:

Finally I’m working on a new Graphics & Text to be vinyl cut to place back onto the Console.

brianvander 07-29-2012 10:01 PM

Re: 94 Z212 Update Switch Plates & Stereo Console

8 Attachment(s)
Switch Panels:
Since the Stereo Console is complete, I now have the “Well I might as well do this….” bug now as well. So I decided to repair the Switch Panels and replace the Switches or Actuators.

I found a small company in SC called New Wire Marine, Eric Steele, they have pre-printed Contura II Actuators for $5, plus they have the removal tool and inserts as well, I ordered 12 new Actuators, the tool and retrofit mounting inserts. All told it was about $70, Eric was quick to ship and was quite responsive. Now he only has about 30 pre-printed actuators, most likely the most popular, but he had all but one that I needed and for that one, I just ordered a blank, (it was the Windshield Defrost and it seems hard to find anyway).

I then removed both switch panels and all the wiring back to the quick disconnect clip, here’s the important part, LABEL EVERY WIRE and take lots of photos! I kept my labels simple, since each switch started with a different letter, ie Horn, Acc, Sounder, Defrost etc… I labeled the wire H2, H3, etc… (meaning Horn terminal #2 or terminal #3). That why once the rats nest of wire is removed I can easily put it back together.

After removing all the switches both switch panels were in dire need of attention. Time, weather and UV has had a serious effect on them. The larger plate was quite deteriorated. Both plates were deformed, cracked and missing plastic between the switches. So I had 1/8 aluminum cut for the switches and using the same JB weld, I epoxied that to the backside of the panel, then I filled in the gaps on the front with new ABS plastic and epoxied those into place as well. To fix the deformations, I used a small torch on its lowest setting, heated the plastic and reformed it straightening it out, careful here too much heat and you will melt the panel. I then used 3/16” ABS to fill in the voids in the back of the panel to give it more strength for the future.

To finish it, from Lowes Hardware I got Rust-Oleum Hammered Black Spray Paint and Gloss Clear Coat. I sprayed both panels with 2 coats of the Hammered paint and finished it with one coat of the Gloss Clear Coat. Re-installed the new switches, reconnected all the cable and re-installed back into the dash. I must say that it looks very good.

While this project to redo the Stereo Console and the Switches was not that difficult, it did require a whole lot of little tedious work and lots of time, mostly for allowing the epoxy and paints to cure before continuing onto the next step. Tools: Labeler, Dremel, large X-Acto Knife, JB Weld, Clamps, small torch, blue painters tape, nothing to exciting.

Next step, replacing the Gauges off-season with new Faria's....

chevybar 07-30-2012 01:17 AM

Good job! I removed mine and put fiberglass on the back, closed the cassete hole and sprayed with black laquer, wish I had done what you did. I may now, carbon fiber look in good. Chevybar.

ShabahZ280 07-31-2012 06:47 PM

Great Job, looks awesome! Major props on the stereo faceplate rebuild :wink_thumbup:

Zackattack 08-01-2012 12:01 AM

Well done, good job.

Dredd 08-01-2012 03:36 PM

Looks excellent!

mikeyt 08-01-2012 04:22 PM

Very nice! :wink_thumbup:

MW Mariah 08-01-2012 09:21 PM

Highly impressed! That's fabulous.

I not only like the creative and personal touches but the simple replacements that add a sharper edge to the helm.

Very Nice!

talari23 08-22-2012 09:06 PM

Hey Brian..That looks really nice. I have the same problem and need to make one. Would you be able to get me connected with the cad you used?

thanks, Steven

brianvander 08-23-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talari23 (Post 38643)
Hey Brian..That looks really nice. I have the same problem and need to make one. Would you be able to get me connected with the cad you used?

thanks, Steven

Hi Steven,
We are actually going into production on the Stereo Console Panel and we will offer various trim styles. Ill send you a PM.