The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   Added Captain's Call... Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/5023-added-captains-call-oh-boy-oh-boy-oh-boy.html)

indykoch 10-29-2010 07:33 PM

Added Captain's Call... Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!

Well, in my 4 years of Mariah ownership (and about 15 years of lusting), I finally bought a Captain's Call exhaust system.

Many of you know Great Lakes Skipper from buying a lot of Mariah parts from dealers and re-selling them. They had a Corsa system on eBay a couple weeks ago that got my attention. When I first bought the boat, I wanted to have Captain's Call. So I called Corsa and got a quote of $1900+ for the whole setup. I called them again about a year later and was quoted around $1200... still too much. Thankfully, Great Lakes Skipper had a system they weren't quite sure what it would fit on, so they provided the dimensions and a REALLY great price... so I bit! I had the dimensions from a drawing straight from Corsa, and they were quite close, so I figured it's worth a shot. $480 for the entire system (I could have sold the tips alone for more than that!!!).

I finished the install last night, and will be making a run around the lake on Saturday. Can't wait!!! The installation was rather difficult. There's a false wall between the engine and transom, plus I had to temporarily remove my extended swim platform, but it fit perfect! Cutting holes in the hull wasn't much fun either... oh the sacrifices we make!! I'm not a fan of the "look at me" noise with thru-hull exhaust, I just like it. I'm also hoping for that slight edge in performance - I know the small blocks don't benefit as much as a big block would, but even 1 or 2 MPH could let me hit 60 with the 350 Mag.

In the end, I have the Captain's Call for a fraction of what it would have cost, and I was able to keep everything looking stock (a big thing for me). I'll post my opinions of the "music" and performance this weekend.

mikeyt 10-29-2010 07:52 PM

Re: Added Captain's Call... Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!

You know that you have to do a write up on the install for us now..... :yes_grin:

rajjneef 10-30-2010 01:22 AM

Photos!

Oregondunes 10-30-2010 05:03 AM

yeah...pics please

Dredd 10-30-2010 02:18 PM

Pics... pff... get us some video with audio!!! I bet it's going to be awesome. Sounds like a good thing came to one who waited this time. lol
I'm blessed with a woman who likes loud exhaust so, I foresee switchable exhaust on my next boat. Can't wait.

845paulg 11-03-2010 01:27 PM

What a great price!! I was provided with a drawing as well from Corsa and a price for the system of 1,350.00. I guess I'll get a quote from The Great Lakes Skipper. I don't expect to get it for 480.00, but maybe they can do a little better. I already blew some big money and with the holidays around the corner, it would be nice to save a little. At least my sweat is free.

indykoch 11-03-2010 03:08 PM

Okay, took me a while to get off cloud 9 and back to the grind...

Took it out on Saturday and Sunday. LOVE IT!! When in "quiet" mode, it's still a bit louder than before, but not terrible. I think it'll be just under the point where the wife says it's annoying. With it open, it's darn near perfect! You can still have a normal conversation inside the boat whether at idle or cruising, and it sounds just loud and mean enough to know it has some power. I'm sure it's a lot louder outside/behind the boat, but I'm extremely happy overall.

My top speed just before the upgrade was 57.8 MPH at somewhere around 4700 RPM. On Sunday I hit 59.2 MPH at about 4900 RPM. So it gave me a little bit of power due to better breathing, but I swear it planes faster and has a LOT more mid-range punch! Going 25-30 and punching it, it'll throw you back in the seat way more than before!

As difficult and restrictive as it was installing, I didn't take pictures along the way (cameras tend to break when you throw them, tools usually won't). But I'll post some installed pics and maybe a video while running in a few days (I've already pulled it out of the water, but I'm sure we'll have one more nice day before hibernation). It's definitely an upgrade that depends on personal preference and legalities where you live, but I'm happy as can be!!

Dutch180SE 11-03-2010 04:41 PM

a YouTube video with Captains call on and off would be awesome :wink_thumbup:

Kitto 11-19-2010 05:20 PM

I've been contemplating the Silent Choice as well, with all the same apprehension, however, that price is unreal!! There is no way I'd pass that up as well. I will say it boasted my confidence in maybe putting it in myself as I feel I'm pretty handy. Like others, I'd love to see some pics. Thanks for posting.

Craig:wink_thumbup:

rajjneef 11-19-2010 05:27 PM

I was quoted $2200 for my boat just the other day. Hard to justify that kind of money for no performance gain. Actually seeing the other $1300 quotes seemed hard to justify.