The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   7.4l water pump (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/1962-7-4l-water-pump.html)

edward cossey 12-25-2008 09:18 AM

7.4l water pump

Hi everyone
First a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all

I have had my Mariah raw water pump replaced the shop has informed me that the circulating pump on the engine is leaking and needs replacement, they estimated the cost to be $350 / $400 , as im not going to florida for a few months i told them to leave it until later. looking through the spares dealers i see the pump is about $125, to buy, is it an easy job to replace myself or better to leave it to the mechanics to do

all the best

Ed Cossey (sonny boy ) :yes_grin::wink_thumbup::confused:

lomitabob 12-26-2008 03:24 PM

Like everything else on a boat it is the labor that adds up. The pump just takes time to remove because of the tight quarters. I replace my impeller every two years and it can take 3-4 hours. If you have a good assortment of swivels and extensions it helps. It is also easier if you remove some of the other hoses that are in the way. Just remember to double clamp all water connections and take your time...leaks are a bad thing. :yes_grin:

edward cossey 12-26-2008 03:38 PM

water pump replacement

Thanks Lomitabob

i think i will try to replace it myself. i recon i can do it as when i was younger i used to work on autos mind you that was some 35 yrs ago when you could take bits apart and repair them, nowadays it all electronics, and you need the qualifications of a brain surgeon or a computer programmer,

Ed Cossey ( sonny boy ) :wink_thumbup::rolleyes::yes_grin:

millertime 04-27-2009 03:41 AM

Re: 7.4l water pump

I have the same engine and outdrive on my 2350Z and its overheating. I was wondering if you knew here I could purchase a book to work on the impellers and outdrives this is knew to me and was hoping some could lead me in the right direction.

WetWilly 04-27-2009 08:58 AM

Hi millertime,

As a matter of fact, we have a growing library of manuals, brochures, wiring diagrams, and all sorts of information relevant to your Mariah, the stern drives and equipment. All of these are available to our contributing members. Click here to see what each level has to offer. Now if you want your own copy, I recommend you search eBay first then the rest of the Internet for the best prices..

The good thing about the Brave outdrives is the impeller and water pump are on the motor, so you don't need to touch the outdrive except to insure the water pickups are clear.

Good luck,
WetWilly

edward cossey 04-29-2009 08:56 PM

hi millertime

i would look on the internet for a manual if nobody in the club has one, i have a manual but unfortunately its in florida , there is a manual by SELCO advertised on the net it covers all mercruiser motors and outdrives its about $34 dollars. have you checked your raw water pickup holes on the outdrive maybe their blocked. other than that i wouldnt know.

good luck Ed Cossey (sonny boy ) :wink_thumbup:

Glen 02-05-2015 02:53 PM

Also try You Tube. I have seen some videos there for changing the impellers on both Alpha and Bravo systems.