The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Projects (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/)
-   -   Engine upgrade? Worth it? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/projects/11299-engine-upgrade-worth.html)

leifmadsen 03-02-2017 02:51 AM

Engine upgrade? Worth it?

Hey all,

Have a 1995 180 Talari with 4.3FX engine. Boat itself is super clean (always garage stored via rail system, winterized).

I'd like to add a bit more power to the boat, but maybe an engine swap is a bit aggressive and not practical.

Our garage can't really support a larger boat and because everything is so clean wondering of an engine swap is a thing people do?

I'm relatively new to boating (I'm the primary operator, but not the owner, boating about 4 years now), so not sure of you approach this like a car :)

(I have a fair amount of car building experience over the last 6-7 years.)

Thoughts appreciated.

ShabahZ280 03-02-2017 09:15 PM

Re: Engine upgrade? Worth it?

Personally, in a 180 boat, I'd say stick with the 4.3L. That's a perfectly suited engine for that boat, with enough grunt for watersports, decent top speed, and economical enough to enjoy without breaking the bank at the fuel pump.

While it is possible to swap in a 305/350 (5.3L/5.7L), the boat was only structurally built to handle a max of the 4.3L, and some extra lbs for gear, passengers, etc. And keep in mind also, tackling one of these swaps isn't just as easy as changing out the motor. Since you've likely got the Alpha outdrive, it won't hold up to a V8 for very long (why this combo is nicknamed "the ticking time bomb"). You'll need to swap up to a Bravo I/II/III drive, which may require some transom modifications. Plus the cost of the drive itself. The price on a new Bravo 3 can be upwards of $8k, and that's without an engine attached! Finding a good used marine engine and outdrive combo can sometimes be challenging, because as you would expect, most people don't remove engines that work properly. Not to say it's not possible, but I'd expect to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3-5k for a used V8 engine/sterndrive combo with a moderate number of hours. With the physical size difference also, you may encounter clearance issues with panels, seats, sundeck, flooring, etc.

My best bit of advice is to do your research thoroughly. Personally I would save the $$ that the engine swap would cost, use it in the fuel tank and enjoy your current boat more, or start saving it for a bigger boat with a larger engine (and a larger garage too). :wink_thumbup:

leifmadsen 03-05-2017 03:05 PM

Re: Engine upgrade? Worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ280 (Post 61456)
Personally, in a 180 boat, I'd say stick with the 4.3L. That's a perfectly suited engine for that boat, with enough grunt for watersports, decent top speed, and economical enough to enjoy without breaking the bank at the fuel pump.

While it is possible to swap in a 305/350 (5.3L/5.7L), the boat was only structurally built to handle a max of the 4.3L, and some extra lbs for gear, passengers, etc. And keep in mind also, tackling one of these swaps isn't just as easy as changing out the motor. Since you've likely got the Alpha outdrive, it won't hold up to a V8 for very long (why this combo is nicknamed "the ticking time bomb"). You'll need to swap up to a Bravo I/II/III drive, which may require some transom modifications. Plus the cost of the drive itself. The price on a new Bravo 3 can be upwards of $8k, and that's without an engine attached! Finding a good used marine engine and outdrive combo can sometimes be challenging, because as you would expect, most people don't remove engines that work properly. Not to say it's not possible, but I'd expect to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3-5k for a used V8 engine/sterndrive combo with a moderate number of hours. With the physical size difference also, you may encounter clearance issues with panels, seats, sundeck, flooring, etc.

My best bit of advice is to do your research thoroughly. Personally I would save the $$ that the engine swap would cost, use it in the fuel tank and enjoy your current boat more, or start saving it for a bigger boat with a larger engine (and a larger garage too). :wink_thumbup:

Thanks! That was honestly my gut feeling but you've answered the question very thoroughly :)

Thanks!
Leif.