The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Boat Tint Thought!? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/947-boat-tint-thought.html)

CameronBrian2120 04-07-2008 08:45 PM

Boat Tint Thought!?

I was thinking of going to my local performance shop; Solar Shade and getting window tint done on the windows. I'm not sure if this is common or not, but I've seen some done on some cigarette boats and it really does look decent, plus I have a credit there and need to spend it on something.

But no the main reason is because the windows really aren't that clear anymore and they seem to have alot of scratches, I figured a limo tint would hide them well enough and look aesthetically pleasing for the most part. What do you think?

ShabahZ280 04-07-2008 08:58 PM

I've seen this done on a few boats and it looks really sharp, and thought about doing it too. Just remember not to go too dark just in case you need to see out it in the pouring rain!

CameronBrian2120 04-07-2008 09:06 PM

this is true!... Maybe 15%, my Jeep is 20....

indykoch 04-07-2008 09:17 PM

I thought about it once too. Problem is, 99% of the tinted windows I see are low profile. A full size windshield may look odd. Just a thought...

CameronBrian2120 04-07-2008 09:18 PM

Hmmm, any photoshoppers on here :)~

ShabahZ280 04-07-2008 09:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
send me a pic and I'll see if I can photoshop one for you.

In the meantime, here's one I had handy. 94 Talari Z220.

Z 202 04-07-2008 10:22 PM

I could see it as being a real disadvantage if you boat at night.

Tint really affects your night visibility in a car, and with even less ambient light on the water, I think it would only be worse...

Mariah Z276 04-08-2008 12:33 AM

I have seen a couple of boats with there windows tinted. I really liked the look. I thought about night time boating but I stand up most of the time anyway. The only time I think it would hamper my driving is during rain.

milemarker60 04-08-2008 05:04 AM

I tinted my Malibu ski boat two years ago and after one weekend with it, I stripped it off. Problem is two fold. First, it really cuts down the daytime visibility when looking for debris or skiers in the water as it is a full size windshield unlike the offshore low profile types. At LOTO, we have to be on the look out for logs at different times during the season due to rain and varying lake levels. Second, night time use is impossible. We all typically stand or sit above the windshield when the sun goes down but the glare inside the windshield from the instrument lighting is distracting enough to where I would turn off the lighting.

Bare in mind, this is coming from a guy towing boarders or skiers with the subs booming, not the old man of the sea. I simply found it dangerous with skiers in the water and didn't feel like exercising my umbrella policy when I gimped somebody up. Also, it won't hide bad glass. Scratches and imperfections will stand out even more. When I took it off, I decided to remove the glass from the frame and have the frame powder coated and the glass buffed out by a glass shop. The overall look now is great.

Just my personal experience but I do have to admit, it looks cool.

DrMatthewDunn 04-08-2008 05:17 AM

cautionary - check auto regs

The point about visibility out the windshield is good - might be more important than is obvious. I seem to recall vehicle regs allow for tinting everything -but- the windshield. I'd be quite wary about reducing the lumens coming through the windshield - just a thought.