The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Different Sizes? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9294-different-sizes.html)

RARinger 05-11-2014 03:51 PM

Different Sizes?

It is interesting to me that Mariah made so many different sizes of boats that were so close in length. I'm wondering if anyone has insight as to why they would make what would seem to me to be almost duplicative models. For example, is there really THAT much difference between a 209 and a 210? Why didn't they just go with a 190, 200, and 210 for example?:confused:

ColoradoDiablo 05-11-2014 04:37 PM

Re: Different Sizes?

Has to do with models available , new models released , wide body models compared to std beam models , etc. , etc.:wink_thumbup:
Even from one year to another they used different model numbers in some instances.

mikeyt 05-11-2014 08:21 PM

Why did GM make so many similar Chev/Buick/Olds/Pontiac etc models? Why did Ford/Lincoln/Mercury make so many similar models? Each one was aimed at a slightly different niche market....

gahooligan 05-11-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 52275)
Why did GM make so many similar Chev/Buick/Olds/Pontiac etc models? Why did Ford/Lincoln/Mercury make so many similar models? Each one was aimed at a slightly different niche market....

No Mikey that was for rednecks here in the south to argue if a trans am or camaro was better... ( when everyone knows that the high-class rednecks drove Trans Ams )

Seriously, is there a list of the numbering system codes. I thought 1st two were length and I know my 202 is a bow rider but what are the rest? And does my 2 mean more than just bow rider?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

RARinger 05-13-2014 12:55 PM

Hooligan - my 209 is a bowrider too. It just seems inefficient in business terms to make so many subsets of models. Does it really make that much difference to have a boat that's 20', 20' 2", 20' 9", 21' 0"? I'm having trouble wrapping my arms around that one. That's why I figured I'm missing something here.

ShabahZ280 05-13-2014 02:26 PM

There were different models offering different features... You can read up on the "Shabah vs Talari" threads and see the differences between the models. They offered different sizes and models because they wanted to cater to the entire market and the customer's budgets. I don't think it was "inefficient in business terms", as they were a very successful boat manufacturing company until the early '00s when the boating market tanked and they were one of many marine manufacturers that fell victim to that trend and eventually went under.

ColoradoDiablo 05-13-2014 02:30 PM

Nicely put Chris:wink_thumbup:

RARinger 05-13-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ280 (Post 52325)
There were different models offering different features... You can read up on the "Shabah vs Talari" threads and see the differences between the models. They offered different sizes and models because they wanted to cater to the entire market and the customer's budgets. I don't think it was "inefficient in business terms", as they were a very successful boat manufacturing company until the early '00s when the boating market tanked and they were one of many marine manufacturers that fell victim to that trend and eventually went under.

I wasn't trying to knock Mariah. It just occurred to me that it would have to have been really expensive to set up molds and such to build a boat that is 3 or 4" different.

gahooligan 05-13-2014 09:00 PM

I don't think the last number is inches. It refers to the hull style I believe. The first two numbers are the length in feet.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

RARinger 05-13-2014 10:33 PM

Son of a gun! That's an interesting concept. I have to say, Mr. Fulks sure was a pretty brilliant guy.

Thank you.