The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Compass and Tach problems (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9283-compass-tach-problems.html)

norri 05-09-2014 01:58 AM

Compass and Tach problems

I have a 1999 Z212 with issues, the tach only goes to 1k and stops, other problem is my built in compass doesnt move off the S- W heading. Appreciate any help

mikeyt 05-09-2014 03:02 AM

Re: Compass and Tach problems

Ahh.. the 'search' function. Check out this thread regarding your tach. Compass likely needs to be replaced.

norri 05-11-2014 02:31 AM

TY Mikeyt, I pulled both today and will call faria Monday. The Tach is frozen at 900, compass will go to approz 225 degrees when sw is turned on, but stays there, not so sure its the compass and not the sender now.:confused:

norri 05-16-2014 01:37 AM

Well here's the scoop on my tach and compass. The tach has to be sent back for repair, one has to go to the faria site and register to get a RMA, then pay for the repair and shipping. Cost for repair is $100 and they have to put ur face on new tach, for they arent made anymore. As far as the compass problem, it is the sending unit, which was made by Ritchie, neither Faria or Ritchie service or have parts for it, so I'm stuck and trying to find a DH-0100 M2 sensor, perhaps someone here might have one or you have a suggestion.
TY
Norri

ColoradoDiablo 05-16-2014 02:35 AM

Ritchie M Series Electronic Compass Sensor 20' Cable DH 0100 Marine Boat | eBay

norri 05-16-2014 04:00 PM

TY Larry, I have spotted the sensor on Ebay and have contacted seller.:wink_thumbup:

woodward33 06-07-2014 04:10 PM

Norri,

Any luck with the new Ritchie sensor? I took the boat out yesterday for the first run of the season only to find that the Compass doesn't function :mad: Unlike yours, it doesn't even spin when the ignition is keyed on, it just stays stuck in the SW position all the time. Checked all the power behind and all the connections are good and have appropriate power.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further? Do I need a Ritchie sensor from this dude on eBay or do I need to pull the compass itself and send it in to Faria?

Any help would be appreciated.

norri 06-09-2014 01:38 AM

The sensor fixed mine, but urs sounds like the compass. If u have 12v & ground to it w or w/o the sensor plugged in it should find the 225 setting before going to ur heading. I took my compass out and bench tested it w a 12v battery and I have instructions for shorting out diff pins on that connector to get different headings, but dont think u need that info for ur not finding 225 when power is applied. Faria is a help if u can get thru to a tech. I would bench test it first, just applying voltages to the wire nut lugs, if it still doesnt move u will have to go to their site and fill out a form to get a RMA # and prepay. I did have to send my tach back to them for I could even jar the needle, it was a quick turn around.

woodward33 06-09-2014 01:39 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. I went to work on some other stuff on the boat yesterday, but took another look at the compass. When it was very quiet in the garage and nothing else was turned on, I keyed on the ignition and could hear a "whirring" sound. It was definitely coming from the compass, but it sounded almost like it was a "stuck whirring" sound if that makes sense? Seems like the compass might have went bad sometime over the winter. Gonna talk to Faria later this week. Thanks so much for your reply and help. That's why I love this site.

norri 06-10-2014 02:54 AM

the compass normally makes a whirling sound when ignition is on, but urs is not finding the 225 heading as it should when first turned on. If it found 225 butt stayed there I could give u pins to short on sensor plug to seek other degrees. So I really think ur compass needs to go back to Faria, the tech there is Jason White, hard to get a hold of, email works the best w him for he does answer back.
Gar