The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   First outing on water since restoration- this weekend (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9209-first-outing-water-since-restoration-weekend.html)

Txtruckerpaul 04-18-2014 11:22 PM

First outing on water since restoration- this weekend

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got my z240 talari finished for the most part. All new interior, new stereo and control panel, steer cable, rebuilt the whole trim/tilt system, updated battery bank with new cabling and finally a new rub rail installed today. Now I have to prove to the wife that all that work was worth all the cussing and the empty wallet that I now posess. Plan on doing the launch on Sunday. Wish me luck! Here's a pic of the new rubrail. It really changed the way the boat looksAttachment 5355Attachment 5356

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyt 04-19-2014 01:43 AM

Re: First outing on water since restoration- this weekend

:wink_thumbup::wink_thumbup:

gahooligan 04-19-2014 02:45 AM

That looks awesome how hard was it to change the rub rail? mine really needs done I think it would make the boat look a whole lot better if it were new

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Txtruckerpaul 04-19-2014 02:52 AM

It wasn't too hard to do. This stuff is pretty stiff and had to hit it with a heat gun just a little to get it to bend around the nose and the back corners. I did it myself but would be a whole lot easier with two people. The original rail was aluminum but went with this plastic/PVC semi rigid rail and insert I found on eBay.

ColoradoDiablo 04-19-2014 04:37 AM

Pics Paul , PICS !!

Txtruckerpaul 04-19-2014 12:05 PM

I'll get plenty of pics. Wife and I are excited about this. I haven't had a boat in 10 years and it was a base model searay 185 with a 3.0 merc. Nice boat but was a lot smaller and nowhere near as loaded up as my talari. It's like moving up from a raft to a titanic, lol. I've only had the talari on the water once and that was right after I bought her. Engine cut out a lot, steering shaft was shot and would barely turn, was taking on water from a torn shift cable boot and her interior resembled something like the black pearl on the pirates movie. We're anxious to she what she can do now that everything is fixed and running good. I'm very glad I found this forum. The advice I've gotten from you guys has sure made this project a lot easier to handle. Many thanks!

Mariah1 04-19-2014 12:43 PM

Wow. What a nice job. Good luck on Sunday.

doaclnr 04-20-2014 08:35 PM

I need to replace my rubrail too... What is the product you used? That looks awesome!!!

Txtruckerpaul 04-21-2014 04:05 AM

Thanks mariah1 and doaclnr. I found the rub rail on eBay from Great Lakes skipper. It's made by Barbour plastics. The size is and inch and a half tall and came with a one inch insert. Took a lot of searching to find one long enough to do a one piece installation because I didn't want any seams. This one was 57 feet long and run me about 300 bucks. There are a few different types that are common out there. There is flexible, semi-rigid and rigid. This one was labeled as rigid, but was able to bend it around the curves of my boat with a little heat from a heat gun. I did it myself and was a pita, but doable. Would've been a lot easier with a helper

Txtruckerpaul 04-21-2014 04:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, took the talari out today for its "maiden" voyage. Ran great for a little while then started running very rich and would big down and even died a few times when accelerating from idle. Did get it to WOT and ran good, but later started cutting out when I'd try WOT. Not really sure what the deal is with it. Adjusted the electric choke, didn't change it. Maybe a carb issue? I set the floats and idle screws last week and set timing with the earmuffs on at the shop. I'm thinking of replacing the carb with a new one. Larry, I did manage to get a few pics, but not as many as I wanted. Spent too much time trying to get it running right. I'll get more next time!
Attachment 5367Attachment 5368Attachment 5369Attachment 5370Attachment 5371