The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   4.3 vortec won't fire, help needed (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/9200-4-3-vortec-wont-fire-help-needed.html)

Budsybill 04-17-2014 01:19 PM

4.3 vortec won't fire, help needed

First sorry so long
So last September when we shut the boat down, everything was
working fine. I winterized boat and covered for the short winter
here in Alabama. I decided to try and start the boat this weekend
and it wouldn't start. I wouldn't call myself mechanically inclined
but I enjoy doing my on work, plus good friends a mechanic. I checked
fire to plugs and there wasn't any, then I checked fire to the distributer,
none there either. So I replaced ignition module and rotor button, still
nothing. Let me add this, when I purchased boat last spring I noticed
the 50 amp breaker on the motor would not go in, it's like it was stuck out.
The boat ran fine all season, so I didn't do anything about it. After this new problem
I decided to bypass breaker until my new one comes in but still motor turns over
with no fire. Lastly I also replaced an inline 20 amp fuse that came from 2 coils or
maybe a type of cylenoid. Not sure if the old fuse was bad but it was so corroded
I couldn't get out to check so I replace fuse holder and all. Next is some type of magneto
deal and then two coils or cylenoids where I replaced 20 amp fuse. What would you guys
recommend next. TIA.

gahooligan 04-17-2014 02:04 PM

Re: 4.3 vortec won't fire, help needed

I would verify power in to the ignition module. You will need a schematic. You maybe able to find one in the contributing members section. If you have nothing powering the module you are not going to get anything out. I am not sure how the systems operate as I have never looked at a schematic so my advice is pretty basic I know. I assume you have electronic ignition. What year is your boat?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Budsybill 04-17-2014 02:25 PM

Hey gahooligan, you know I don't think I ever checked if the module had voltage. I know it only has one plug going to it with two pins. I imagine one -/ one + . I have a 2001 185 Diablo. I'm thinking it has an electronic ignition. I'm relatively new to this site, but I appreciate all the articles and discussions, so I'm guessing its time I become a contributor. :) tomorrow I'll try and check for voltage on the module, and touch base with you. Thanks for your help

gahooligan 04-17-2014 02:34 PM

I am assuming if it only has two wires the module is in the distributor? Those two wires should also be connected to the coil then? I believe one should be power in and one would be signal out from the pick up to the coil. Either way the coil and module should have a constant power in with the key on. If you have no power in your have to trace that wire to figure out what is causing the issue.

Budsybill 04-17-2014 02:41 PM

Your right, the module is under the distributer. Can I unplug module and check at plug for voltage or will this only show one side with voltage if its properly working?

gahooligan 04-17-2014 02:56 PM

One side should have voltage in with the key on. Check with your other test lead to ground. Check that you have ground at the motor (that the motor is grounded) if you don't have ground at the motor test to battery ground. If the motor is not grounded due to corrosion at the terminal, that would be an issue as well. I am assuming there is no ignition coil?

gahooligan 04-17-2014 02:59 PM

And yes you can unplug the module and make sure one of those wires has battery voltage with the key on while the other side of your test leads is grounded to the block

Budsybill 04-17-2014 03:09 PM

I'm going to check on the voltage tomorrow, but I'm not sure if it has
A ignition coil or not. it looks like the power comes into two cylenoids and
then to what I thought was a coil pack that has a bracket to ground it to motor.
Then I believe in goes to the ignition module and so on. Does that make any sense?

gahooligan 04-17-2014 03:30 PM

Okay. And disregard the ground issue to the motor you said it turns over so it has to be grounded or the starter wouldn't spin. Your ground should be good. Definitely verify voltage in first. Does the coil pack you mention have one coil wire out of it to the distributor cap? Or do all the plugs fire from it? I am assuming since you mentioned a rotor, it has a regular cap with all plug wires hooked to it.

Andy b 04-17-2014 05:31 PM

Have you enabled the kill switch? ;)

gahooligan 04-17-2014 05:56 PM

Lol. Dang Andy!!!!! I didn't even think of that!!!! I bet that's it!!!

Budsybill 04-17-2014 06:09 PM

Yes, it only has one wire going to the distributor cap, its the middle wire on top of the cap.
And then it has two plugs in the side of it that overlap each other.

Andy, Im thinking the switch is still good because when I pull the safety lanyard it doesn't allow
for the alarm or maybe it's the fuel pump to sound.

Andy b 04-17-2014 08:12 PM

Cool at least you've checked it :wink_thumbup:
You'll be surprised how many people overlook it :rolling_laugh:

Budsybill 04-17-2014 08:25 PM

Yea man, I never actually put a volt meter on it, just flipped it
back and forth. But to be on safe side, tomorrow while Im checkin for
Voltage, can't hurt to double check. Thanks Andy!

gahooligan 04-17-2014 08:41 PM

I actually had accidentally pulled mine about halfway down and it took me about 10 minutes to figure out why my boat wouldn't start in the middle of the lake lol!

Budsybill 04-17-2014 08:49 PM

Lol, sounds like something I'd do. Can't believe it hasn't happened to me yet.
But there's still time! :)

Andy b 04-17-2014 09:29 PM

I was clipped on with the hatch open. Went back to shut the hatch and the motor died!
Tried to start the motor and nothing???
Spent a good while checking everything until my daughter noticed the lanyard hanging down by my side!
A real Facepalm moment :mallet_on_head:

Mariah1 04-17-2014 11:57 PM

What part of Alabama. I am on Lake Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Budsybill 04-18-2014 03:21 AM

Hey mariah1, we live in Calera. We been going to Lay for most of our trips, but this summer
we wanna get over to Lake Martin. Good friend of mine is from Alexander City, their gonna show
us around.

Budsybill 04-18-2014 03:29 AM

Hey gahooligan, I had a little time before ball game so I checked for voltage. I first checked
Voltage coming out of coil and we has 10.5 volts, a little low but my battery was almost dead
from trying yo start up the last few days I'm charging it up tonight. Then checked voltage to the
plug going to ignition module, we were good there also. Then I ran out of time.

Mariah1 04-18-2014 12:57 PM

Hope to see you on the lake this summer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gahooligan 04-18-2014 01:28 PM

So now we are down to the signal for the module. I am not familiar enough with the 4.3 to know of it has a hall effect in the distributor or if it has a crankshaft position sensor.. hopefully someone will chime in. If not I'll see what a Google search reveals.

Budsybill 04-22-2014 08:26 PM

Hey gahooligan, so still have the same problem. Over the weekend
I changed the coil, no help. So in the next couple of days Im
gonna change the ignition sensor in the distributor. Anything else
you can think of? Thanks for all your input.

gahooligan 04-22-2014 08:28 PM

No. The pickup in the distributor sounds like a wise choice. You have verified power into it and have changed everything else at this point it seems. You are positive you have no spark at the plugs , cap and coil?? If so it sounds like a good call.

Budsybill 04-24-2014 01:31 PM

Alright, GaHooligan I changed pickup in the distributor
and still no luck. I'm gonna go back to the ignition and
safety switch one more time and if that doesn't do it. I'm
throwin in the towel and taking it to the shop. On a bright
note pretty much all my electronic components have been
replaced new! :)
Thanks again!

Budsybill 05-22-2014 08:58 PM

Alright guys, I'm happy to inform everyone after 3 weeks and 2 days in the shop I've finally
got my boat back and ready for the water. Some of you may recall, I was having a problem
getting the engine to fire. after changing several items I finally tried to change the pickup on the
distributor but while doing so, I damaged the wheel on the top of the distributor. So basically I fixed a
problem and created another. :/ service tech went back with a MSG distributor, much larger than the previous
one I had. Cost $324 with labor and part I thought that was fair. Thanks again for all the help everyone
provided.

ColoradoDiablo 05-22-2014 09:30 PM

Glad to hear you got her running.:wink_thumbup:
Now you can kick back and have some fun!!:D

gahooligan 05-22-2014 11:28 PM

Awesome. At least know what the problem was and got a lot better part installed to boot! Now go enjoy your boat!