The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   One exhaust manifold running hotter? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8603-one-exhaust-manifold-running-hotter.html)

theeasynine 08-04-2013 08:23 PM

One exhaust manifold running hotter?

The ol girl has had fuel and water pumps replaced and the mechanic was doing water test and said he noticed one side was running hotter on the manifold. He took them off to check for obstructions I guess? He now mentioned pulling the heads to investigate further. I don't know how much hotter it was running. Does this seem necessary?

ColoradoDiablo 08-04-2013 11:21 PM

Re: One exhaust manifold running hotter?

Not to me.
I think I would be doing a lot of other things before I tore the topend down.
Find out what was the dif in the temp readings? Sounds like more of a cooling blockage issue to me.
Did he do a compression test to make sure there wasn't a dead cylinder?
Ask him why he wants to pull the heads? Make him explain to you the "reason" for doing this , before investigating the cooling system further.
This is just my opinion Patrick , but that sounds very fishy to me to jump from a heating issue on the manifolds to tearing down the motor in one single swoop. :(

theeasynine 08-05-2013 01:17 AM

I was thinking how you are, about blockage in cooling system. I looked in my notes I jotted down and he said the difference was 200-300 degrees difference. That seems like a big deal to me. Anyway I'm taking a trip up there tomorrow morning to talk with the mechanic so ill keep you posted.

JRCustomCar 08-05-2013 03:18 AM

Also was this done while running the boat on a hose or while running in the water? Sometimes one will run hotter than the other especially while idling. I would make sure to run it up to temp not just on the hose or at idle and recheck.

EricG 08-05-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theeasynine (Post 47654)
I was thinking how you are, about blockage in cooling system. I looked in my notes I jotted down and he said the difference was 200-300 degrees difference. That seems like a big deal to me. Anyway I'm taking a trip up there tomorrow morning to talk with the mechanic so ill keep you posted.

200-300 degrees is a meltdown difference in temperature. My boat always rund around 180. I know I've had cars with v8's that overheated (ran above 240) and would not run. I'm wondering how that boat would run with a difference like that. I know the manifolds will run hotter than the temperature of the block but OMG!

theeasynine 08-05-2013 03:21 PM

He said the temps are the same on the heads. It was out on the water for the test. I really don't see how the heads could be the same but manifolds be so far apart.

ColoradoDiablo 08-05-2013 03:39 PM

If the heads are running at the same temp , the only thing that can being "heating up" the manifold is a blockage.
You got flaked off rust or something blocking a passage in the manifold itself , or a exhaust flapper broke off and wedged , or something to that effect.
I can not see a 200-300 deg diff even if a manifold is plugged. You would be melting boots!!

I would be real leary of letting this "mechanic" work on her. You know....it's like going to the doctors , sometimes you got to get a second opinion. :)

V-side-down 08-06-2013 08:35 AM

Oh Boy here we go. How to explain and be understood. If he (the mechanic) is taking the temps from the exhaust man. then you are seeing exhaust temps (from those big explosions that push our boats forward) or the coolant side (of an intake man.) you would possibly be looking at the spread of temp on say coolant intake from radiator to engine as opposed to the exhaust side of the coolant temp after circulating through the engine then out to the radiator then back to the engine or as in a boat it is in and out.
Some engines will run hotter on one side than another. I would not be alarmed at this point unless you had the pumps replaced due to temperature or overheating issues. How is the mechanic coming up with the other temps with a actual sending unit placed in the system or a heat gun? I would not rush to have the heads pulled on that information

luke7575 08-06-2013 02:46 PM

Why question is did he take of the manifolds and rises before he told you he wanted to take the top end apart, risers and manifolds are known to get clogged up

theeasynine 08-06-2013 03:08 PM

He took off manifolds and said there was no blockage. I'm starting to think that I'll just run it how it is.