The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Purpose of the middle hatch? (filled with water) (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8510-purpose-middle-hatch-filled-water.html)

Sweden68 07-17-2013 09:55 PM

Purpose of the middle hatch? (filled with water)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am a new owner to a Beautiful Mariah Shabah 202, year 1998.

The boat seems to take in little water, I will fix that with an automatic blidge as a remedy until I understand were the water is coming from (I have seen a lots of threads regarding this, very helpful)
But my question is in fact: Why is the water allowed to get further on, forward through the pipe to the middle section under the hatch ?

And, if the pupose is that this area, sometimes could get drowned in water, why did the Mariah designer put "Fabric" "Carpet" material there ?

I am thinking to remove this material, as it smells like "musty" or mold. And also to plug the pipe prevent the water come from the area under the Engine and forward to the area under the hatch.

I mean, if for some reason, the water should be allowed to fill this area under the hatch, why have a hatch at all ? I have no use for it as I cannot put any thing there, (okej, I can put some beers and plastic things).

The Picture is taken here:
https://maps.google.se/maps?q=yttre+...ie=UTF-8&hl=sv

mikeyt 07-17-2013 09:59 PM

Re: Purpose of the middle hatch? (filled with water)

I'm going to assume that you are referring to the ski locker which is located in the middle of the boat between the front seats. It has a drain because any water that gets into the front half of the boat or from placing wet ski equipment in the locker, can drain back into the bilge. If you are getting that much water into the ski locker as i think you are suggesting, you might want to find the source of that water entry quickly. I would check the outdrive bellows very thoroughly for any cracks/splits/worn areas.

Dozer 07-18-2013 01:25 AM

Mine fills with rain water if you just have the bow and cockpit covers on and leave the plug in(while on the trailer). The mooring cover keeps the rain out and it remains dry. The carpet is on the floor of the locker to keep things in there from sliding and rattling around.

Your boat doesn't have a bilge pump in it already? Also, if its wired like mine, the accessory switch to the far right is wired to turn the bilge pump on. If there's any water in the bilge and not enough to activate the pump, that will work to clear any water out. Just shut it off when it's empty.

asclarch 07-18-2013 02:53 AM

It is the bellows. Change them or have them changed asap.

phillycincykid 07-20-2013 04:55 AM

also look at the shift boot cable for leaks. boats on a dry day just don't take on water like that. i didn't know late 90s boats still had that compartment. i ripped mine the hell out when the floor was redone b/c it was just another place for filth to accumulate.

Sweden68 07-22-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillycincykid (Post 47032)
also look at the shift boot cable for leaks. boats on a dry day just don't take on water like that. i didn't know late 90s boats still had that compartment. i ripped mine the hell out when the floor was redone b/c it was just another place for filth to accumulate.

Hi, I agree, days without rain should keep the boat dry. But as I am from sweden I am not sure what "shift boot Cable" means ? mikeyt mention bellows, I will check that after the season, but that is not the same I assume ?
Regarding blidge (Dozer), I have installed an automatic pump now, It works fine, but still a remedy.

Andy b 07-22-2013 05:33 PM

Where the gear cable exits the transom shield there is a rubber boot around the cable.
this sometimes leaks...

Dozer 07-25-2013 04:58 AM

Yeah, that should have read "shift cable boot" if it isn't rain water it would have to be the boots or bellows. Good luck.

Sweden68 07-28-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 47166)
Where the gear cable exits the transom shield there is a rubber boot around the cable.
this sometimes leaks...

Thank's a lot. I will check this out.