The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   2 years idle... (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8471-2-years-idle.html)

Shabah203 07-12-2013 09:57 PM

2 years idle...

Hi everyone,

It has been quite some time since I've used the boat, about two years to be precise...:(
The kids didn't want to go on it, they rather stayed at the beach. So we ended up ignoring the boat a bit. It was prepared for the winter, and then we didn't visit it for a whole summer and winter again.

Meanwhile it is now summer again and I finally picked up the boat from the marina and put it on the drive. Major cleaning has started and slowly it is coming back to life.

I've taken out the battery and topped it up and attached it to a charger. See if it will pick it up.

But now:

In order to basically revive the boat without killing it I was wondering what to do (and not do).

My plan was to:

-change oil
-change sparkplugs
-change fuel filter
-change air filter

But I'm not sure if I need to worry about p.e. dried out seals and rubbers. Anyone here has experience with this?

Last time we've put it to bed we filled the cooling system with antifreeze and dripped some oil in the engine before shutting it down.

all suggestions are welcome!

mikeyt 07-12-2013 11:03 PM

Re: 2 years idle...

I would probably change the outdrive oil also and check the drive-belts and the outdrive bellows closely for dryness/cracking.

nglauer 07-13-2013 01:17 PM

What about the water impeller? When was the last time it was replaced?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Shabah203 07-15-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 46607)
What about the water impeller? When was the last time it was replaced?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The water impeller I take it is what it uses to suck up the water into the cooling system? I have no idea if it even ever has been changed! Where is it and how do I get to it?

Shabah203 07-15-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 46565)
I would probably change the outdrive oil also and check the drive-belts and the outdrive bellows closely for dryness/cracking.

Added to my list!

I also just found out the battery has two cells that won't charge. I guess that's a new one I need then...

mikeyt 07-15-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabah203 (Post 46688)
The water impeller I take it is what it uses to suck up the water into the cooling system? I have no idea if it even ever has been changed! Where is it and how do I get to it?

I am not a 'fountain of knowledge' regarding these Volvo Penta units but here's what i understand. The water impeller is located inside the water pump on the front lower left side of the engine. It's a lot easier to remove the complete pump from the engine than to try to replace the impeller while the pump is installed on the engine. Make sure you don't get the hoses reversed when you reinstall.

I see that you are a contributing member so you do have access to the Volvo service manuals located at the bottom of the "Maintenance & Repairs" section.