The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Fuel issue? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8436-fuel-issue.html)

theeasynine 07-08-2013 01:36 PM

Fuel issue?

Had the girl out yesterday and after about 30 mins I was idling under a bridge and went to accel and she sputtered and died. Sat a bit and wouldn't fire up until I shot some starter fluid. She fired right up and ran fine for another 30 mins or so and then died again cruising about 30mph. Tried restarting and would fire up weakly and would die as soon as I try to accel. Now just cranks. Replaced injector pump 2 summers ago and fuel filter. Filled with fresh ethanol free gas last summer and stabil at end of season. So out of 4 summers I've had this boat, I've had to be towed in 3 of them. I'm about ready to sell this boat and move on. Any ideas? 7.4L EFI

Dozer 07-08-2013 02:29 PM

Fuel issue?

Take a look at the coil. Seems to be a common problem lately. Coils tend to act up when they get hot. If it runs when the engine is cooler and has problems when the engine heats up, it could be the coil. It'll put out less voltage when it gets hot when its going bad.

theeasynine 07-08-2013 03:01 PM

Re: Fuel issue?

There is good spark to the rotor cap. Just going to have to take it to the repair man. It's over my head.

This morning with cold engine it still will not start.

ColoradoDiablo 07-08-2013 03:34 PM

Have the mechanic run a diag with a DDT(Digital Diagnostic Terminal) scan tool and he can tell you exactly what the prob is Patrick.
The EFI/MPI system is not one to throw parts at. You'll spend a fortune before you find the problem. :(
Have it scanned and then you know.

Money well spent.:wink_thumbup:

gahooligan 07-08-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 46312)
Have the mechanic run a diag with a DDT(Digital Diagnostic Terminal) scan tool and he can tell you exactly what the prob is Patrick.
The EFI/MPI system is not one to throw parts at. You'll spend a fortune before you find the problem. :(
Have it scanned and then you know.

Money well spent.:wink_thumbup:

Not to hijack aa thread but... Out of curiosity.. do these engines run a standard diag obd code system? Do they store codes? Do they have obd I or II connectors hidden somewhere? I am an ex automotive guy that recently switched to forklifts. I hope I don't need my mechanical skills for a while as I am just purchasing the boat lol! but it would be nice to know if these things have a scan-able system and what interface I would need to access it if one is available. My boat is a 99 202 w/5.7L.

ColoradoDiablo 07-09-2013 12:42 AM

Yes they store codes. But the system isn't anywhere near a OBD system.
Only place you can get them that I know of is Mercruiser or rinda.com.
They have their own adapters for engine/outdrive combo.
They didn't make it easy for the aftermarket to pounce on it , that's for sure.

gahooligan 07-09-2013 06:02 AM

sounds expensive... lol.

theeasynine 07-15-2013 01:17 AM

Update. Marina got to work on it today. He started checking fuel system and took off filter and discovered it was empty! So he determined fuel pump wasn't pumping. He also said with my engine setup and pump location they are notorious for vapor lock issues also. He recommended taking off the storage kid over the engine for better air flow. I'm concerned about the heat affecting the underneath of the sundeck. Anyone else with this setup have to deal with this?