The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Glove Box Door (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8422-glove-box-door.html)

b222 07-06-2013 02:39 PM

Glove Box Door

Does any one know where you can get a glove box door for my 1999 222. Has anyone had the problem of the glove box cracking?

ColoradoDiablo 07-06-2013 03:23 PM

Re: Glove Box Door

First welcome to MOC b222! :)

I am afraid your only options are to either repair your existing door , or find one on Ebay , Craiglist , Marine salvage yard , etc.
They do crack as does the dash with the constant sun/weather conditions.
Can you show us some pics of the damage? Maybe we can help figure out a solution.:wink_thumbup:

nglauer 07-07-2013 05:11 AM

mine is cracked on my 2001 Diablo. It is cracked in a perfectly straight line through the center. I noticed it last season.. but couldn't figure out a way to fix it. I decided to just throw in the towel and live with it because i'm sure that a used one will succumb to the same issue if it already hasn't.

mikeyt 07-08-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglauer (Post 46260)
mine is cracked on my 2001 Diablo. It is cracked in a perfectly straight line through the center. I noticed it last season.. but couldn't figure out a way to fix it. I decided to just throw in the towel and live with it because i'm sure that a used one will succumb to the same issue if it already hasn't.

ummmm okay.

ShabahZ280 07-08-2013 05:22 PM

Yep, unfortunately the glove box and storage lids are simply just marine plywood with ABS vacuum molded plastic around them. They were made by Mariah only in their factory. The molds and everything were sold in 2001 and unfortunately, once they crack, your only options are repair (can get costly), or live with it.

Finding a used replacement lid (or any of Mariah's in-house made parts) is a bit like finding a diamond in a desert. You can look for years, and never find anything. Trust me on that one.... :wink_thumbup:

ColoradoDiablo 07-08-2013 05:44 PM

Nice Avatar pic Chris!:wink_thumbup:

rajjneef 07-08-2013 05:52 PM

Yeah... With the quality of most things Mariah, they came up short when it came to these parts. Between the stereo bezels, and these glove box doors and storage lids the quality was skimped on.

ShabahZ280 07-08-2013 06:41 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it skimping on quality, I'd say some of the items just needed refinement, ie stereo bezels, dashes, lids, etc. They tackled the things one at a time, for example the stereo bezels weren't used in the later models. Curved dashes were remodeled in the larger boats towards the end, etc. I'm sure glove boxes were probably next on the list. :)

PS-Thanks Larry!

rajjneef 07-08-2013 07:56 PM

True... but i've seen the later model curved stereo bezels cracked as well. If we were talking first year run having issues I would agree. It's just my opinion and I love my boat but that area doesn't match up with other areas on the boats. For the record I just reinforced my stereo bezel with fiberglass as my stereo fell through it recently. Luckily it didn't bust up and is now pretty stout after the fiberglass reinforcement. Makes me wonder if I should consider doing the dash as well for preventative measures.

gbisch 07-10-2013 03:09 AM

All my doors and bezels have cracked. I simply sanded them, covered them in epoxy, sanded them smooth, and painted them to match my exterior highlight color (dark green). I think it looks better than the stock woodgrain.