The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Replacement Bilge Pump (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8352-replacement-bilge-pump.html)

bdbyrnes 06-24-2013 02:53 AM

Replacement Bilge Pump

Looks like the Bilge Pump is history. Any suggestions on a replacement?

ColoradoDiablo 06-24-2013 03:31 AM

Re: Replacement Bilge Pump

Do you have 3/4" or 1" fittings bd :)
I'd go for at least a 750GPH unit :)
Mayfair and Attwood Tsunami pumps seem to hold up well for the cost.

JMO :)

bdbyrnes 06-24-2013 04:27 AM

I believe it's 3/4 - I need to verify. I really don't like the location, I may be missing some 'trick' about accessing the pump.

ColoradoDiablo 06-24-2013 05:05 AM

They can be a pain for sure.
Once you get it out replace it with a pump that has at least the same GPH rating as the old one.
I always go bigger , but that's just my overkill nature coming thru.:yes_grin:

rainman55343 06-24-2013 07:30 AM

I agree with Colorado.

woodward33 06-25-2013 01:33 PM

You're not missing any special tricks, bd...they just flat out suck to replace...

I did mine last Summer. Went with the Attwood Tsunami and eventhough it's only been one year, so far I'm very happy. Good luck!

bdbyrnes 06-25-2013 07:06 PM

Thanks, I was able to reach and unscrewed the old one - Mayfair Marine. I am going to put an electrical tester on the switch and then the leads to the pump just in case....

Cliffsmariah22 06-25-2013 09:45 PM

Are you sure it's dead. I thought mine was also dead. I tested it with pulling up on the test switch and nothing. I removed it and wired it straight onto the battery and still nothing. Then I twisted the propeller a couple of times and tried it again, and walla it worked. My guess is that it got stuck probably because it has not ran for a long time. That's one less expense.

bdbyrnes 07-15-2013 04:12 PM

I replaced my bilge pump this weekend with a 750GPH from Mayfair Marine. It replaced a 500GPH Mayfair Marine pump. Once I had the old one out I was able to observe that the motor was seized or something was stuck in it not allowing it to move.

I installed the new pump, wired it to a float valve and direct with a fuse to the battery. Brown wire from the float valve to the brown wire on the pump, other brown wire on the float valve to the fuse & battery. Black wire on the pump to the ground which was run with the factory wiring. Tied off the 'auto bilge pump' wire (from the bilge accessory switch) and used a screw-in zip tie to keep the wires in place.

Placed a hose in the engine compartment and waited for the float valve to engage.

Works great, but it was tough to get to!

The new pump was $34.33, well worth the cost.

mikeyt 07-15-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffsmariah22 (Post 45830)
Are you sure it's dead. I thought mine was also dead. I tested it with pulling up on the test switch and nothing. I removed it and wired it straight onto the battery and still nothing. Then I twisted the propeller a couple of times and tried it again, and walla it worked. My guess is that it got stuck probably because it has not ran for a long time. That's one less expense.

And ummm, you want to take the chance that it will work when its needed? I'd spend the $35 & replace it anyway.