The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Snap on covers (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8287-snap-covers.html)

nonwin1973 06-13-2013 10:32 PM

Snap on covers

I have a 1995 Z212 with the two snap on covers. Will they with stand highway speed if left on.

ColoradoDiablo 06-13-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Snap on covers

Are they a bow cover and cockpit cover?
If so , I would think yes , as long as you have the support pole under the bow cover.(Learned that the hard way a long time ago):)
That and you aren't driving at excessive speed. Like 80+ all the time.
You have pics with them on? Heck ........with em off too! We all love pics :)

nonwin1973 06-13-2013 11:37 PM

Yes the bow cover and cockpit cover are separate. Taking the Z212 on its first road trip to New York. Going to the Adirondacks in July. Having the brakes check this week and having new Goodyear Marathon ST C rated tires put on before we leave. Unless you have a better tire suggestion. No pics right now but will have plenty when we are on the water in New York.

Hudson River Steve 06-14-2013 12:06 AM

Just a word of caution. I left the snapon covers on an older bow rider (not a Mariah) some years ago and trailered it 2hrs. When I got to my destination I found that the rear snaps on the cockpit cover had come undone and the metal snaps beat the hell out of the fiberglass at the aft end. Seems the air going over the windshield makes a vacuum, kind of like an airplane wing. The snaps came undone and then the rear of the cover fluttered for 100 miles causing unrepairable damage. Unfortunately you can't see it due to the windshield. From that point on I made it a practice to tie down the the cover with a strap across the top of the cover. Never had an issue with the bow cover.

ColoradoDiablo 06-14-2013 12:12 AM

I would suggest a support pole under the cockpit cover if possible. Especially if it is a long trip.

Marathon tires are great in my opinion. I have run different brands , but if you can afford em ..........get em.
That is all I will run these days. Never had prob one with em. Course , I feel lucky..........I don't seem to have tire probs on anything.
Ohh..sh-- , I just hexed myself:rolling_laugh:

Have a great time and give us details on the return!

Dozer 06-14-2013 12:48 AM

Snap on covers

I trailer mine all over with both covers on. Just make sure they're tight with the support poles. It'll do fine. Where in New York are you going?

allz28 06-14-2013 01:08 AM

I did 660 miles recently with mine, cruising 75 the whole way. And my cover is old and starting to dry rot and I didn't even have 6 of the rear snaps snapped because the cover wouldn't stretch to them. The cover did fine. The trailer tires on the other hand . . .

nonwin1973 06-14-2013 01:12 AM

Fish Creek near Tupper Lake, ever hear of it? Where we will be skiing there are not many boats so lots of smooth water

Dozer 06-14-2013 01:54 AM

Snap on covers

Yup, I've been there as a kid. I spend a lot of time on the Sacandaga and Lake George. Live in Clifton Park just north of Albany.

nglauer 06-14-2013 06:12 AM

BFG makes a good trailer tire as well. My parents just replaced their Goodyear Marathons on their 5th wheel because they had one blow out and cause a bunch of damage. Their last trailer also had a recall on the Goodyears - however this doesn't mean they are a bad tire. The BFG's that are on it were also replaced under a recall - and only had about 45 miles of use on them!

I would avoid any chinese type tire like the plague. I would also have a spare tire with you on the trip - and don't forget some type of jack and lug wrench if you need to change a tire. I would also throw in a screw driver and a couple of spare bulbs - and you might even consider a spare hub (I know that all sounds over kill - but i've seen another member have a tire failure and hub failure on a trip).

Just some thought - safe travels and have fun!