The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Depth Finder (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/8118-depth-finder.html)

diablo18 05-20-2013 01:53 AM

Depth Finder

I have a 2001 diablo 180 so it didnt come with a depth gauge. I was looking at getting a faria through hull gauge where is the best place to mount the transducer?

ColoradoDiablo 05-20-2013 02:52 AM

Re: Depth Finder

In the bilge , usually at the front of the engine. :)

Oregondunes 05-20-2013 04:47 AM

i have two. both at the front edge of the motor in the bilge

ShabahZ280 05-21-2013 01:41 PM

The bilge is the best place, however since your boat did not have a depth gauge previously installed, it may be a little tricky. On the later models, the boats equipped with the depth finders usually had a special platform type section of the engine compartment made for the transducer. This area was specifically made thin inside the hull so it provided the least amount of obstruction for the sonar waves.

You'll have to do some investigating on where you can get a good accurate signal before mounting it down. The instructions for the transducer will guide you in the right direction, just follow them carefully and use the specific type of epoxy they recommend.

Or if you want the easy way, and don't want the headaches or extra costs associated with installing a thru hull transducer, you can just mount a standard transducer on your transom. Just make sure and use some good sealant like 3M 5200 in the holes you drill to avoid any water intrusion.

Andy b 05-21-2013 09:09 PM

If I get a chance tomorrow I will post some pictures of the transducer on my 2001 180 Diablo

diablo18 05-25-2013 02:12 AM

ok thanks

Andy b 05-25-2013 03:02 PM

Ooops! I won't lie I forgot, but here you go

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/v...525_154937.jpg

nglauer 05-27-2013 04:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if I posted any pictures on here. I installed a lowrance unit in my dash, used a toilet bowl wax ring to secure the thru hull transducer.. and ran the temp sensor through the back. It's been there for almost two seasons without any issues. I just sanded the fiberglass in the bilge area so it was smooth.. made a donut out of the wax and stuck the transducer in place. It works really well. These pictures were taken during the installation - so please disregard the mess inside the hull. Sanding on the fiberglass makes for a dusty mess.. and you quickly learn where every oil/greasy spot exists within that area lol.

ColoradoDiablo 05-27-2013 01:41 PM

That is a interesting way to mount the ducer!!
Any false echoing?
Interested to know how it holds up to the heat from the motor.
Very ingenious thinking either way.:wink_thumbup:

SEMIJim 05-27-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 44211)
The bilge is the best place, however since your boat did not have a depth gauge previously installed, it may be a little tricky. On the later models, the boats equipped with the depth finders usually had a special platform type section of the engine compartment made for the transducer. This area was specifically made thin inside the hull so it provided the least amount of obstruction for the sonar waves.

I doubt that the hulls of most powerboats are any thicker than is the hull of the 1976 30' sailboat we had. She weighed over 8,300 lbs., dry, with over 3,500 lbs. of that in her encapsulated keel. An Airmar through-the-hull transducer was mounted just forward of the keel (the keel area would be one of the areas in which the hull thickness would be greatest), up under the V-berth. It worked fine.

Such transducers will have a fitting meant to be more-or-less permanently adhered to the inside of the hull, that's designed in a manner such that it can be attached so as to compensate for the hull's dead rise at that point. Done correctly: Once the puck is mounted, it'll be shooting straight down.

The exception to the above is cored hulls. With cored hulls the inside fibreglass "skin" and core have to be removed so the transducer's mounting fixture is mounted directly on the outer fibreglass skin.

Jim