The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   shore power (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7658-shore-power.html)

fldoctor 12-16-2012 01:28 PM

shore power

On my 1999 250 the only thing that operates on shore power is the microwave and the outlet located on the breaker/ switch panel in the cubby cabin. When I try to turn on anything else it does not work even if I turn the key. When I am running on battery the microwave does not work. That is not the way that it is suppose to work, Correct? Please help

csterner 12-16-2012 01:37 PM

Just so I understand..so you are saying that everything goes dead including your engine won't start when you are plugged into shore power except your microwave and outlet? I am curious though about the microwave working on batteries since it does pull a bunch of power. I honestly have never tried that on mine. I know the tv works on batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fldoctor 12-16-2012 02:23 PM

Re: shore power

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, you are correct. Nothing turns on, including the engine. The batteries are turned off. I believe that it should be when the boat is on shore power. I'm new at this and learning something everyday. It seems to make sense if you are anchored & want to heat something up in the microwave that the microwave should work, But I maybe wrong.

fldoctor 12-16-2012 03:44 PM

Just started the boat with the shore power on. She started right up. The only thing that works on shore power is the microwave & the outlet is that Normal?

ColoradoDiablo 12-16-2012 05:11 PM

The only way the micro will work is on 110v. You got to have a generator if you want to run it out on the lake. Even a inverter won't power it , it draws way to much juice.
All your cutty lights should work on shore power too. If not , you need to check the power converter. Not sure where it is but one of the guys will point you in the right direction.:)

csterner 12-16-2012 08:50 PM

Yes, all your lights should work on shore power. Just like Colorado said, you might have to bring a small generator if you want your microwave to work at anchor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fldoctor 12-16-2012 09:58 PM

I having problems turning on any of the courtesy lights, shore power or on battery. I am going to have to check the wiring.

Oregondunes 12-16-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo (Post 40653)
The only way the micro will work is on 110v. You got to have a generator if you want to run it out on the lake. Even a inverter won't power it , it draws way to much juice.
All your cutty lights should work on shore power too. If not , you need to check the power converter. Not sure where it is but one of the guys will point you in the right direction.:)

I have a 6000w inverter on board. They are powered by (3) group 27 RV batteries. Everything on board, including the (2) 115v outlets work perfectly on my batteries. I have a 115v fridge, the micro and have had to jump start with an auto battery charger to another boat just fine.

Im sure it did not come from the factory that way, but Ive got mine wired to do anything I need it to.

fldoctor 12-16-2012 10:09 PM

Wow, what an upgrade! I may do the same in the future. It nice to have power available when you need it. Good job....:wink_thumbup:

ShabahZ280 12-17-2012 04:06 PM

I'd doublecheck the wiring at the batteries for any loose or corroded connections. That may solve the problem. You could also check the courtesy light switch to make sure all the wires are connected and everything is good there. Another thing to check would be fuses. On my Z250 there's 2 fuse panels, the push button reset by the throttle, and a fuse block mounted inside the storage cabinet. Put your head in there and look up, you'll find it. :)

You might want to check if you have a battery charger wired in with your shorepower. Or do you have the separate 110v outlet plug on the transom by the swim ladder? If that's the case, you definitely don't want to be running your shorepower and engine at the same time for any long periods of time, it may fry your batteries by double charging them. My Z280 won't start unless the shorepower side is turned off, but it has a much more elaborate electrical setup to run all the cruiser stuff.