The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Wire near outdrive (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7360-wire-near-outdrive.html)

steve.barnett 08-27-2012 04:05 PM

Wire near outdrive

I am new to boats and new to this forum so please be kind in your replies to what may seem like a stupid questions.

I recently purchased a 1999 Shabah 212. I notice that to the left side of the out drive there is a black multi conductor wire that has been cut off. What should that be attached to??

mikeyt 08-27-2012 04:19 PM

Re: Wire near outdrive

First thing that pops to mind is the trim sensor switch. On both the left (port) & right (starboard) side of the outdrive are small round disks with with wiring attached that goes up thru the bellows and connects to your trim/tilt pump and your trim sensor gauge. The port side is your trim limit switch (limits how far the outdrive can be trimmed) and the starboard side is your trim sensor which is wired to the trim gauge on your dash. If one of these wires were cut you would not have control of your trim or your gauge wont work.

If you had a "Z" model it might be the wire leading to the paddle wheel on transom. Another (& probably better) possibility would be that someone removed a fish finder/depth finder transducer that was mounted on the transom & rather than pulling the wires back thru just cut 'em off. Try following the cut off wire back to see where it is attached to.

ual777mech 08-27-2012 10:59 PM

my z210 has that wire also it was attached to a paddle sensor i think . still do not know exactly what that sensoe does,
hope this helps

jarwiebe 08-28-2012 03:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If it is the wire you see between my outdrive and the smart tab in the attached picture, it is the wire going to the paddle wheel which is the feed for the odometer and sea temperature.

mikeyt 08-28-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarwiebe (Post 38736)
If it is the wire you see between my outdrive and the smart tab in the attached picture, it is the wire going to the paddle wheel which is the feed for the odometer and sea temperature.

I dont think Steve has a "Z" series boat so that would eliminate the paddle wheel thought...good catch though.

steve.barnett 08-28-2012 01:24 PM

How would I know if I had a Z series boat? What does the Z designate?

Once again new boat owner and very new to Mariah.

mikeyt 08-28-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve.barnett (Post 38741)
How would I know if I had a Z series boat? What does the Z designate?

Once again new boat owner and very new to Mariah.

"Z" boats came standard with a number of options including power rear hatch, power drivers seat, windshield wiper and defogger, air/water temp readout, dash clock, S.S. docking lights, power antenna, power anchor light etc.

steve.barnett 08-28-2012 01:34 PM

I must have a Z series boat. The only thing I haven't seen is the air/water temp readout. Everything else is in place.

mikeyt 08-28-2012 01:41 PM

Even better! When u get a chance take the time to edit your profile to show a Z212.

So it is possible that the wire leads to a paddle wheel that ual777mech & jarwiebe mentioned?

Does your air/water temp readout work? Is the paddle wheel still mounted at the bottom of the transom? If u can, please upload a photo or two of the transom area & that will help us identify what's happened.

steve.barnett 08-28-2012 01:50 PM

Thanks! I have edited my profile. I will take some pictures in the next couple of days.