The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Unable to get up on plane (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/7141-unable-get-up-plane.html)

LunenburgRider 07-11-2012 12:27 AM

Unable to get up on plane

I have a 1994 Mariah Talari with a 5.7L merc with thunderbolt IV ignition. The engine doesn't see to have enough power under load to put the boat on plane. I have done the following:

Change the distributor cap and rotor button.
Fuel Filter Change
Checked timing it was 8deg BTDC
Checked compression. Seven cylinders ranged from 140psi to 155psi and one cylinder was 135psi.
Checked Anti-Siphon Valve. It was working perfectly.
Checked voltage at alternator. 14.6V

Also when I had the spark plugs out to test compression they were very black, so I would think that the engine is burning rich.

Just wondering if anyone would have ideas on what the problem would be with power.

The next thing I'm going to try is a new ignition coil and spark plug wires.

845paulg 07-11-2012 01:17 AM

Re: Unable to get up on plane

Is your distributor advancing the timing when you give the engine throttle? Also, did the boat plane in the past? How much does the boat weigh? Pitch and condition of your prop? Did you recently change the outdrive by any chance?

Paul

Zackattack 07-11-2012 03:53 AM

What is the max rpm at wide open throttle? And what was your performance before? Was it with the same prop as before? Or did you change?

Slick02 07-11-2012 02:34 PM

Something I found a few years back on one of my boats was that the end of the exhaust riser collapsed inside of the hose,,the motor ran smooth everything seemed fine but the boat had no power and wouldnt plane,,,took everything apart getting ready to change motors when I found the problem..just something else to look at.

rajjneef 07-11-2012 06:13 PM

Also a basic but, it's not year old gas in it?

Mariah350 07-14-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunenburgRider (Post 37501)
I have a 1994 Mariah Talari with a 5.7L merc with thunderbolt IV ignition. The engine doesn't see to have enough power under load to put the boat on plane. I have done the following:

Change the distributor cap and rotor button.
Fuel Filter Change
Checked timing it was 8deg BTDC
Checked compression. Seven cylinders ranged from 140psi to 155psi and one cylinder was 135psi.
Checked Anti-Siphon Valve. It was working perfectly.
Checked voltage at alternator. 14.6V

Also when I had the spark plugs out to test compression they were very black, so I would think that the engine is burning rich.

Just wondering if anyone would have ideas on what the problem would be with power.

The next thing I'm going to try is a new ignition coil and spark plug wires.

Depending on the Prop, it may be the inner rubber hub that has come torn lose inside the prop. This would allow low rpm/load operation but under load will allow the prop to slip not being able to bite the water.

Just a thought.