The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   first time out (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6838-first-time-out.html)

TAT 05-20-2012 12:17 AM

first time out

well today was my first trip on the water. I started he boat up at the house before we left, got to the lake backed her down the ramp, unloaded, pulled the truck and trailer out, my wife, son and got in, went to start it and nothing. Thankfully another boater was there to lend me his battery to jump mine. Boat fired right. Off we went.

She ran great! I was impressed, this is my first mariah. I topped out at about 50mph turning 2500rpm.

mikeyt 05-20-2012 01:19 AM

Re: first time out

If u topped out at 50mph at only 2500rpms then something is wrong with your tach. At 50mph with that 4.3 you would have somewhere around 4800-5000 rpms. And know that boat speedos are nearly always optimistic so if you want an accurate reading then use a GPS. Other than that, i'm glad to hear the rest of your first day on the water went well.

Assuming you were correct in the reading that usually can easily be fixed. Access the backside of your tach & you should see a small wheel marked 2-4-6-8. Give the wheel a spin a few times then reset it at 6 (for 6 cylinder).

DCB_MINDED 05-20-2012 02:27 AM

They will almost always start at home.... But never when you get to the water....LOL A battery maintainer and a spare battery are a must in my opinion.

TAT 05-20-2012 12:42 PM

Yeah, of course they always start at home. I was talking to another boat owner on the lake he suggested a two battery system, any thoughts?

Thanks for info mickeyt. I found a thread last night explaining rpm at WOT. I will rest it today.

I do not have an owners manual for this boat, but is there a choke position? On my other boat it was all the way back.

DCB_MINDED 05-20-2012 03:43 PM

I have 3 in my boat.... Just, but I run a lot of toys..... There are several different types of setups. The best uses a switch that will switch between Battery 1, Battery 2, or both. As well as an isolator that allows the engine to charge both batteries. You can get by without the isolator, but you have to switch manualy to the battery that you want to charge.

Also, the choke should be automatic.

TAT 05-20-2012 10:54 PM

DCB_minded thanks for info. I will look into a two battery system.

Mikeyt, you were right about my tach it was not even set for a 6. I changed it today now we will see what i am really turning. you said i should be between 4400 and 4800 and wot right?

DCB_MINDED 05-20-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAT (Post 36078)
DCB_minded thanks for info. I will look into a two battery system.

Mikeyt, you were right about my tach it was not even set for a 6. I changed it today now we will see what i am really turning. you said i should be between 4400 and 4800 and wot right?

Yes, 4400-4800 RPM is the correct WOT range for your engine. You can tell a while lot about your prop by looking at this number. RPM too high, you need a steeper prop.... Too low, you are over-propped and your holeshot and overall performance of the boat will suffer.

TAT 05-21-2012 01:47 AM

Thanks for info. I will keep that in mind while on the water again. I currently have a 3 blade prop not sure of pitch. I have read where many have gone to a 4 blade prop. I wanted to ski yesterday to see how she would pull me out of the water, but my wife was not comfortable driving it yet.

mikeyt 05-21-2012 01:52 AM

A 19" 3 blade or a 20" 4 blade will easily handle skiing/wakeboarding/tubing duties with your setup. I've got a 20" - 4blade SS on mine but lots of members with the 18-19' & 4.3 run the 19" prop. Either of those props will have you running right at 4800-4900 rpms at WOT which is just about perfect.

TAT 05-21-2012 07:40 PM

Thanks for info mikeyt. I plan to get out this weekend to see where my rpms really are.