The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Monster MTE Tower? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6690-monster-mte-tower.html)

shabah180 04-19-2012 06:03 PM

Monster MTE Tower?

Hello,
I'm thinking about buying a wakeboard tower to put on my 1996 Shabah 180. There is a local place that sells Monster towers, and I'm looking at the MTE. Has anyone used/installed one of these before? I think the local place charges about 250, so I'm thinking about doing the install myself with a friend to save some money.

The only other concern that I have is that the manual notes that you need at least 3/8" fiberglass to mount the tower onto. What is the thickness of the fiberglass on my boat, anyone have an idea?

Here's the link to the Monster page: MTE Universal Wakeboard Tower

Thanks

Dsg03svt 04-20-2012 12:31 PM

Re: Monster MTE Tower?

I read a bunch of things before I purchased my tower and everything spoke very highly of monster. I believe they use 2.5" aluminum which is thicker than a lot of the competition.

I can't speak to the install since my Aerial tower will be here middle to end of may. I am interested to see if someone knows the thickness of the fiberglass on our boats.

Good luck! Post pics!

jasfiveo 04-20-2012 03:40 PM

I went with Aerial myself and love it. I don't know the fiberglass thickness. I just used some waterproof backer board (don't know the term I'm looking for) on the underside for support. I used it several times last summer and it was solid as a rock. i think the Monster towers are rather bulky...just my two cents. Check out Aerial. They have a much more custom look...don't think you would be disappointed. Installation is pretty labor intense. Just tidious to make sure you do it right.

Dsg03svt 04-20-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasfiveo (Post 35216)
I went with Aerial myself and love it. I don't know the fiberglass thickness. I just used some waterproof backer board (don't know the term I'm looking for) on the underside for support. I used it several times last summer and it was solid as a rock. i think the Monster towers are rather bulky...just my two cents. Check out Aerial. They have a much more custom look...don't think you would be disappointed. Installation is pretty labor intense. Just tidious to make sure you do it right.

Which style did you go with? Pics?

Slash9point5 04-20-2012 05:50 PM

Check out the customer gallery at h2osportswarehouse.com. You can click on Mariah for the manufacture and see the tower installed on my boat and a few other members.

I suppose I should add that h2osportswarehouse.com is a supplier of Aerial Towers.

Dsg03svt 04-20-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash9point5 (Post 35224)
Check out the customer gallery at h2osportswarehouse.com. You can click on Mariah for the manufacture and see the tower installed on my boat and a few other members.

I suppose I should add that h2osportswarehouse.com is a supplier of Aerial Towers.

I didn't realize your was one of the ones on their customer photos. Very nice!

I purchased my tower from h2osportswarehouse.