The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Trailer bunks for 202 Shabah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6644-trailer-bunks-202-shabah.html)

candanewell 04-09-2012 12:53 AM

Trailer bunks for 202 Shabah

2 years ago I brought a Mariah 202 Shabah that was not on its original trailer. I have not had a problem with the trailer, but I am concerned as the boat is only sitting on two bunks that are quite narrow and a front nylon type plate

I am considering adding extra bunks to support the boat more, especially at the front of the boat. Also this weekend we used a steep ramp and the front of the boat dragged hard accross the nylon plate, scratching the hull.

Is this needed and would it cause problems if added???

I tried to attach photo of current setup but could not!

ColoradoDiablo 04-09-2012 01:29 AM

Re: Trailer bunks for 202 Shabah

There is hardly any weight at the front of your boat. 80% is the rear 10-12ft of the boat. What is your trailer? , is it a single axle or dual axle trailer? There are usually 4 bunks on a trailer for a boat the size of yours.

If you want to get more support , why don't you think about replacing the existing bunks with wider ones. Use poly deck lumber and you never have to worry about them rotting. :)

I replaced mine that were 4" wide with 6" wide poly decking. I feel better with the wider bunks and they will last forever.

PS: Steep ramps suck! I usually leave the trailer a little farther out of the water and use the winch to get her on the trailer , instead of floating on. Just make dang sure your drive is up all the way!

Larry

roadrash 04-09-2012 05:59 PM

I have a mariah 182 shabah ltd 4.3 mpi i am removing my bunks to replace tham with two sets of roller swinging arms each swinging arm has 8 sets of wobble rollers .
not long had this trailer with bunks and its the worst trailer i have used for launching ant loading so converting it to rollers . might be the way to go?
i will post pics of conversion when i am ready to do it . phil

candanewell 04-09-2012 10:59 PM

Thanks for the replies and rollers could be a way to go, interesting to see you photos when done.

Understand that the weight is mainly on rear, but as the bunks I have are only 2" wide I am thinking that I may change these out and add some guide bunks at the front,

ColoradoDiablo 04-10-2012 12:44 PM

Definately go with a wider bunk if that is the way you go!! 2" is way to narrow for the weight of your boat. Rollers are nice , but have actually less contact area , and can be kinda spendy to convert too. But they sure help with loading that's for sure.

Larry

rayzorback 04-14-2012 01:43 AM

With rollers, you better not unhook the bow or the boat until it is in the water. It will roll off the trailer onto the ramp.