The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   what anchor do you use? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6488-what-anchor-do-you-use.html)

ranger1tom 02-13-2012 03:24 AM

what anchor do you use?

I have a newly purchased 1999 jubilee 244 z . let me be the first to say "built like no other" equipped great until the guy i bought it from got hold of it . he kept every thing that wasent bolted down . he kept the bumpers ,life vests, throwable , fire est . and now for the big question the anchor . WHAT ANCHOR DO YOU USE????? thanks in advance did a search anchor is a very common word . all i could get was about storage or lights.

DCB_MINDED 02-13-2012 07:15 AM

Re: what anchor do you use?

I have 2 Danforth's (google it) on my boat. I normally only use 1 unless I am close to something and don't want the wind swinging me around. They work pretty well, and are not very heavy at all. Remember to get a lead chain for it so that you don't lose it due to cutting the rope on the rocks..... and DO NOT BUY A CHEAP ANCHOR ROPE! or else you will be replacing your anchor in the near future. Here is a good website on anchor setups/deployment. Ground Tackle: Selecting Anchors and Rodes by Don Casey

Dredd 02-13-2012 02:28 PM

It really depends what is on the bottom of the place you boat most. DCB's link has some good info.

ranger1tom 02-13-2012 02:36 PM

Were in the lower Colmainly sand and frequently in the current . if u don't get to the sand bar soon enough all the spots are gone . Im gonnane.

rajjneef 02-13-2012 06:00 PM

I bought a "Digger" anchor probably 15 years ago. I still have it and if I lost it tomorrow I would buy another in a second. I have had it on 3 different boats. To give you an idea of how impressed I am... It's never let me down, ever. 2 summers ago we were on a raft up of a 70' houseboat that had lost it's rear anchor and was spinning. I pulled mine out with only 150' of rope and we were in 60' of water. That houseboat didnt budge and we had probably 6 more boats raft up with us. Search for this anchor and you can see how cool it really is. You also do not need any chain for this anchor. They are a little pricey but deduct the cost of chain and its not much different. Now see how it works and you will see why I have been able to keep it this long.

Zackattack 02-17-2012 12:36 AM

I use a BRUCE anchor, that may be what rajjneef was referring to as a digger. I swear by it, I also have a danforth as a stern anchor if needed. But I say go with a bruce and size it properly for the weight of the boat. You will be happy when you use it.

rajjneef 02-17-2012 05:03 AM

No... Digger is the name of the anchor I am speaking of.

Zackattack 02-17-2012 05:35 AM

Sorry, never heard of it. This bruce does dig though, it seems to hold very well as well as release very easily when you are ready to retrieve from a straight pull up.

Captain Steve 02-22-2012 01:14 AM

I have two Danforth-style anchors. They are very good for a sand bottom. On the inland lakes they bring up a lot of weeds. I mean a bushel basket full! If you are inland a mushroom brings up less vegetation. If you are on sand, Danforth is good. Can't say about the Digger. Don't know what that is.

With the 18-ft Crownline I used to deploy a 20 pound navy anchor. It was good inland and in the sand, but maybe only because of its heft.

thagno 06-15-2012 07:39 AM

I also have a Danforth-style anchor! I'm satisfied with it! It's important to have a good one I guess! So if you have some suggestions it would be great! I thought of buying a new one for the next trip. I want to make a "picnic" on the boat including some snacks and a hamper serenanta. At least I hope that I can do that in July!