The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Storage (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6223-storage.html)

Threejakes 10-22-2011 11:46 AM

Storage

Well it looks like this is the end of the boating year for us. I put some stabil in the gas, changed the out drive oil, fogged the engine and put some Damp Rid in the hull. I spread around some Bounce dryer sheets for critter prevention. This is the first time I did the critter protection thing. I am going to store the boat in a cement floor barn and wanted to be sure that the critters will not make our boat "Home." Previously we stored the Mariah in our heated garage, but last year it stayed outside the whole winter. I don't want to subject the boat to another Midwest winter outside, so in the barn she goes. Today is the day and I'll sleep better tonight knowing that it's in a covered enclosure.

I changed the oil and noticed that we put on 8 hours this year! Not nearly enough time on the water!!

Two years ago we found our old '62 Chevy, thus the garage is full of cars--no room for the Boat!

m&mmariah 10-23-2011 07:01 AM

Re: Storage

Don't forget the power steering cooler. I didn't do this the first year I winterized, because I didn't know about it. I was lucky and nothing happened. This year, I disconnected the hose to it, and was surprised at all the water that drained out, even after having drained the manifolds and engine block.

ShabahZ280 10-24-2011 01:27 PM

Yep, it's getting to be that sad time of year. I just brought mine home from Lake Erie yesterday, and I'll be winterizing her this week. :(

M&M brings up a great point, people can sometimes forget about the steering cooler.

mikeyt 10-24-2011 03:25 PM

Mine's being winterized this week and then it will be put to bed for the winter. My 20yr old son told me last night he was upset that he didn't get to take her out for a ride this summer cuz of his work schedule and trying to pay for some of his university costs. He just loves that boat. :(

Threejakes 12-02-2011 04:08 PM

We went over to the barn where the Mariah is stored and ran the outdrive down to the normal position and then removed the battery. We placed some plastic sheating over the cover--the birds were taking aim at our boat and they were not missing either. There were cats present in the barn, so I hope there will not be a mouse problem. I have never stored the boat with the trailer tires on the ground. I have always put the axle on jack stands and kept the tires off the pavement - trying to prevent flat spots from appearing on the tires. This year the tires will be on the pavement--so we'll see what happens when we pull her out in April. Our boat was the last one in the barn, so it will be easy to get her out in the spring. Looking forward to April already, and it's 4 months away!

:wink_thumbup:

ColoradoDiablo 12-02-2011 04:32 PM

Trade ya Threejakes!
I got at least another 5 months before I can even think about getting my boat out. I guess that's what I get for living here in Colorado. :)

Threejakes 12-02-2011 04:55 PM

WOW--you really have a long hibernation! One year we boated as late as Dec. 15! Around late Feb. or early March, I get anxious to be on the water again.

mikeyt 12-02-2011 06:45 PM

Mine went to sleep in mid October & wont come out until mid-late May next year.... I dont get it out any earlier cuz you end up having to fight off the polar bears and icebergs. ;)

ColoradoDiablo 12-02-2011 09:03 PM

Yes sir! , I'm a fair weather boater myself. Can't stand it when it's below about 65 deg. Must be old age sneeking up. Still.....I count every day til the launch! :)

darkcalling 12-05-2011 01:30 PM

I hear ya Mikey it's even worse out here. We can get sub zero weather into the end of May once and awhile. I know before anyone says it why the hell would you bother lol we love it when we're on it. Yes even if it is only for a month straight and the odd weekend.
Won't say how long mine has been put away already and how late he gets to come out to play.