The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   Slight list to the right (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6086-slight-list-right.html)

jminor 08-24-2011 03:01 AM

Slight list to the right

I have a '93 198MX Shabah. It has a very slight list to the right or starboard side. It's not just because I'm fat and it's not prop torque because wouldn't that be to the port? It seems to get worse as fuel gets lower. I was wondering if maybe the foam in the starboard side of the boat in genera,l but mostly in the stern may be saturated. I don't have any evidence of that but something is causing it. What do y'all think?

mikeyt 08-24-2011 03:31 AM

Re: Slight list to the right

Well, as long as you're sure you aren't overly fat or have been eating too many Big Macs lately.... Its usually a result of improper loading of the boat. This doesn't necessarily mean people but the items that are stored in the boat. Try moving a few things from the low side to the high side first.

The other thing i could suggest is installing a set of Smart Tabs. They do tend to provide a little balance to the boat on top of their many other benefits. Do a site search for Smart Tabs and you will find a number of threads extolling their virtues...or check 'em out here.

jminor 08-24-2011 03:35 PM

I have two batteries on the starboard side and nothing but the trim motor port. Very well could be the issue. I'm about 225lbs but even when when my wife is driving and I'm on the board or tube with the boys balancing her out sitting port side, Shabah lists starboard. It's the batteries, I'll bet. I like the trim tabs idea to though if not for the list, then for the mph improvement and the relieve with porpoising.

Thanks, I'm sure that my wife won't mind another $125 with shipping and handling.

DFZ272 08-25-2011 01:45 PM

I agree with Mikey. Check for loading first. My boat doesn't have tabs on it...yet. If I am in the boat by myself, I put my cooler directly across from me in front of the passenger seat. If I don't I will notice a slight list. Its actually easier to eliminate the list if I have a full load of people, then they have to sit on available seats and can't all sit on one side. Saturated foam? Possible, but in my opinion not highly likely. The only way I know to check for this its to drill for a core sample through you floor decking and then reseal the hole. I don't recommend this if don't know exactly how to do it, done wrong you could hole you hull, hit wiring,etc. Good Luck
Happy Boating
Dan

jminor 08-25-2011 06:40 PM

Thanks DFZ272! I am going to leave work here in a few minutes and head to lake. Looks like just my son and I this time. I won't be taking a core sample until all other avenues are exhausted. I sure do appreciate y'alls comments and I let you know how it all shakes out.

Paul F 08-26-2011 03:03 PM

My smart tabs didn't totally eliminate the list, but the other benefits make them definitely a great investment.

On a small boat, it really comes down to load positioning without offending somebody!

Phrases like "Can you move your fat butt to the other side of the boat?" generally aren't well received.

jminor 08-26-2011 04:24 PM

Paul F,

I'm not really all that fat! Hey, I have a question about the Smart Tabs. Have you seen the Trim Tab Girls web site that sells Smart Tabs? What's that all abutt....errrr about? My real question is, I don't think that I can work Smart Tabs with the way that my transom is shaped. It's hard to describe but it is not a tall sided smooth arrangement like in the Smart Tab installation video. You may what I'm talking about but I'll take a picture and see if I can upload it to this thread.

voodoo 08-30-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jminor (Post 32238)
Paul F,

I'm not really all that fat! Hey, I have a question about the Smart Tabs. Have you seen the Trim Tab Girls web site that sells Smart Tabs? What's that all abutt....errrr about? My real question is, I don't think that I can work Smart Tabs with the way that my transom is shaped. It's hard to describe but it is not a tall sided smooth arrangement like in the Smart Tab installation video. You may what I'm talking about but I'll take a picture and see if I can upload it to this thread.

Send your pics and questions on smart tabs to the smart tab company.
Smart tabs made a world of difference to my 16 foot Doral trihull.
The company reps helped me thru every step of the installation. Top notch service. :wink_thumbup:
I'd put them on my 225 but she has hydraulic as a factory option.
Hydraulic work very well, after you get used to them.
Small adjustments make huge, almost unexpected changes.
I find the hydraulics almost backwards to what I would expect.
Took me a bit to get used to them.
Smart tabs are install and enjoy.

jminor 08-31-2011 08:33 PM

Sounds like great advise, voodoo! I'll let you know how it all turns out!

Zackattack 09-01-2011 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 32237)
My smart tabs didn't totally eliminate the list, but the other benefits make them definitely a great investment.

On a small boat, it really comes down to load positioning without offending somebody!

Phrases like "Can you move your fat butt to the other side of the boat?" generally aren't well received.

Especially if its your wife!:eek_animated::rolling_laugh::punch_out: