The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   1990 2150 xlc headliner. (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6051-1990-2150-xlc-headliner.html)

phillycincykid 08-17-2011 02:26 AM

1990 2150 xlc headliner.

goodevening all. im buying a mariah 2150 xlc. she has a strong engine 5.7 litre with about 535 hours on it. the engine was always winterized properly no problems there. the interior was sadly negelcted causing some soft spots in the floor, i have experience with marine flooring and fiberglass so this doesnt scare me, however the headliner (cloth on the ceiling
) down in the cabin is history and the foam is so nasty the only option is total removal. this was caused from a plastic hose rotting out going to the wiper blade. anyone ever tackle a project like this? any suggestions?
thank you!

DFZ272 08-17-2011 04:04 AM

Re: 1990 2150 xlc headliner.

Depending on how far you have to go, your project could be a big one. I did a full on interior, structural(floor, stringers, bulkheads) and cosmetic restoration for my father in law a few years ago on a 19 ft Starcraft with the same engine you have. I removed everything then started repairing an empty hull. The reason he wanted to do it is because it was cheaper than buying a new boat and my slave labor was free. If you get the boat cheap enough and you like that kind of work go for it. BUT the material cost will not be cheap and it does take time. He spent roughly $1200 on structural materials, fiberglass, treated wood, epoxy resin(polyester is cheaper), and 2 part pour in foam. A couple of hundred in paint(I sprayed it in my shop). I installed new carpet. The upholstery shop for recovering all the seats cost about another $2000. Add another $300 or so for misc expenses. Removing the structural foam a straight claw hammer works good for chipping it out. Best case for a project like I did material cost around $4000. The boat I did was a worse case scenario. If the damage is confined to small areas, it will be a lot cheaper and take less time. If you can post some pictures of exactly what you are talking about. If you decide to tackle it, send me a message and I will try to give advice. Good Luck
Happy Boating
Dan

phillycincykid 08-17-2011 05:34 PM

Re: 1990 2150 xlc headliner.

Wow! That is a project! Lucky for me the interior in the cabin other then the headliner is in good shape. Wont be totally gutting the cabin. The entire floor is getting replaced just so I don't have to piece everything like a puzzle. That way I can lay some nice carpeting. The hull paint transom and most of the stringers are in good shape. This is kinda like a new hobby which I really needed so imp looking forward to it. She goes for her final mechanical inspection tonight so I hope to get started soon. I do appreciate the help and may take u up on some question asking! Thank u.