The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Original Mariah Talk (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/)
-   -   mariah z280 windlass question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/original-mariah-talk/6005-mariah-z280-windlass-question.html)

geneo 08-08-2011 07:00 PM

mariah z280 windlass question

Purchased a 1999 Z280 last year,I am looking at installing a windlass,does anyone know what unit would work the best with the anchor locker and the way the anchor comes through the bow.
Thanks

ShabahZ280 08-09-2011 12:45 AM

re: mariah z280 windlass question

I believe they were Lewmar, but let's let a Z280 owner chime in with a definite answer!

Hudson River Steve 08-09-2011 01:01 AM

Re: mariah z280 windlass question

My 99 Z280 came with a Simpson Lawrence (now Lewmar) V500. Don't believe they make that model anymore but it looks like their V700.

geneo 08-09-2011 11:02 PM

Thanks for the responces, Steve is your windlass mounted inside your anchor locker or is it somehow mounted on the bow. The bow of my boat has an adjustibule docking light on the point of the bow with the door to the anchor right behind it.The anchor goes through bow into the anchor locker.Are all Z280s like this or is this something the former owner did.I dont know how i would install a windlass unless its totally inside the anchor locker.

Thanks again
Geneo Z280

Hudson River Steve 08-09-2011 11:52 PM

I have the same bow light and door to the anchor locker right behind it so I guess all Z280's are similar. My windlass is mounted totally inside the anchor locker on a platform that is fiberglassed to the bulkhead. It is completely invisible from the outside. The anchor line and chain come straight in from the anchor roller, around the windlass, back toward the bow and down into the anchor locker. There is also a cleat mounted to the same platform for tying off the anchor rode once it is set. Let me know if you need a picture.

geneo 08-10-2011 01:38 PM

Steve,thanks for all the info,a pic would be helpfull,sounds like this isnt going to be a simple project,maybe i will wait till the off season to tackel it.BTW i am in the same state as you but on the western side,Chautauqua lake.

Thanks Gene

Hudson River Steve 08-25-2011 12:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gene,
I finally snapped a couple of photos of my windlass yesterday, sorry for the delay. As I stated, the windlass is mounted to a plywood bracket that is fiberglassed to the bulkhead inside the anchor locker. Heavy gauge wiring runs from the battery to a switch at the helm and finally to the windlass. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to install a second switch in the anchor locker so the unit can be operated while at the bow. Believe this requires a heavy duty relay rather than just the simple switch. In any case you are probably right, this is job for the off season. It is a nice luxury once completed and working.
Steve

geneo 09-02-2011 01:46 PM

Steve,thanks for the pics,it looks like yours was factory installed being the plywood matches fiberglass,mine has a 2x4 mounted to the back wall with the cleat on the 2x4.
Thanks again,Gene

radhat 11-25-2016 06:32 PM

How in the heck did you fit in that chain locker to work on your windlass?
I'm working on putting in a new one in my Z268 and it's turning out to be a bear.
I actually got stuck in the hatch and had to have help to extract myself.
On my 268 there is no access through the forward cabin. I pulled the cushion and checked.

I've cut an oblong access port on the port side in an effort to reach the nuts on the underside of the windlass holding it to the shelf. If the problem ends up not being the motor and ends up being the solenoid /control box, I might be in trouble as I haven't located it yet.

My Spirit 400 had a 20 amp fuse but the V700 comes with a 40. Swap it out?

I feel like I'm treading water without a lifejacket. Wish me luck I think I may need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 32224)
Gene,
I finally snapped a couple of photos of my windlass yesterday, sorry for the delay. As I stated, the windlass is mounted to a plywood bracket that is fiberglassed to the bulkhead inside the anchor locker. Heavy gauge wiring runs from the battery to a switch at the helm and finally to the windlass. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to install a second switch in the anchor locker so the unit can be operated while at the bow. Believe this requires a heavy duty relay rather than just the simple switch. In any case you are probably right, this is job for the off season. It is a nice luxury once completed and working.
Steve